Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Problem (Read 2386 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Problem

I've got a piece of music with about 7 or 8 instruments in it, and when I try and add another one, regardless of the instrument patch I assign, it sounds like percussion! Is there a limit on sound cards or something?

I'm very new to MIDI, so any help would be appreciated!

thanks.

Re: MIDI Problem

Reply #1
Ok, you have your piece; each line or instrument has a channel attached to it, the thing is that channel #10 is percussion, so see if your line or instrument that is playing percussion is not using ch.10. If it is, change it to a higher number (the limit is 16) that is 16 different instruments or sounds but not staffs or lines. For example (Clarinet 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 can be using one same channel) remember same sound.
To change the channel right click in the staff or your choice, select staff properties, midi, channel, and change it scroll up or down.
Good luck
If hope I was able to explain it well, if not someone else will probably respond after me.

Reply #2
Thanks! Problem solved.

Basically, every time I add a stave, it uses a new channel. It starts at 1 for the first stave, 2 for the second; and when it gets to 10 I get percussion, despite the fact that I have 'oboe' selected! Weird! I've skipped it on to 11 and it works fine now!

Reply #3
Rob, what Clemente was pointing out to you is that channel 10 is preset to be a percussion channel - this cannot be changed, so whatever instrument you set it to, channel 10 will only play back percussion.
If you don't want percussion you simply do what you have already found out - skip channel 10 - unless you want to use percussion of course.