Skip to main content
Topic: Software MIDI reproduction (Read 11326 times) previous topic - next topic

Software MIDI reproduction

Is there any way to create professional sounding reproduction of MIDI file? I don't thing real time but a generator that would render professional results using waveguide technology or something similar. I think that with all that processing and storage power computer should sound much better than syntheseisers (I know that problem is with soundcards but it can be bypassed).

Re: Software MIDI reproduction

Reply #1
The answer is yes, but it requires additional (not free) software. Basically, digitized samples of real instruments are patched together, and mathematically adjusted. The more advanced software has numerous samples per useful instrument, so that the degree of adjustment does not have to be too great. Most existing synth-sampled MIDI players use, at most, a single digitization per instrument, and adjust the heck out of it.

But that would not be an internal feature of NWC, nor of standard players such as Quicktime or Windows Media Player. I have heard it demonstrated, and liked it. But as I recall, it would license for maybe $50-$100. The digital database requires something like 300MB disk space (not including every possible instrument, just enough to get by), and a very modern processor to handle maybe 3 instruments in real time. For an orchestra, real-time would choke the system: The MIDI file would have to be played to an audio file, then the audio file could be played by any media player.

Reply #2
You CAN get FREE software to do this. It is called Timidity++.

"http://timbrechbill.250free.com/links.html"

Here you can find a link to download a 5.7MB self-extracting file with everything you need to start listening to great sounding MIDI files on Windows platforms.
It includes Timidity++, a small (5MB) but reasonably good soundfont that I put together, and various other files you need.

After the download is complete you will need to find the file (timidity.exe) and run it (double-click) to complete the installation.

If you want an even bigger and better sound, here is a link to the Big Merlin Soundfont (32MB) at:
"http://www.midi-contest.com/db_sf2.html"

There are also some Instructions for setting up Timidity to use the soundfont of your choice.

Reply #3
Tim- I'd love to get your installer version of Timidity++. I've never been able to get it to work using the "conventional" approach. (I usually don't have much trouble with multi-step installs, but every attempt to install Timidity has given me nothing but grief.)

Unfortunately, the URL you provided gives the infamous 404 "not found" error. Could you please look into this?

Reply #4
I found it at http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/

Unfortunately, the 30Mb download to get the sound patch to go with it resulted in a CRC failure, so I haven't been able to try it out yet. The instructions do imply that you can use sound fonts with it, but it also appears you need a GUS patch as well.

RObin

Reply #5
Sorry, case sensitive URL:

Home Page: http://timbrechbill.250free.com then click on the Links Button OR

http://timbrechbill.250free.com/Links.html

My download includes a 5mb sf2 file with it. You can use it or any sf2 that you want and GUS patches are not required. It is not the latest release, so you may want to follow the Timidity++ link on this page to get the latest.

Hints in my "Instructions" link on how to configure.

Let me know what else is not clear...

Tim

Reply #7
By the way, all the music on my website was done with Noteworthy Composer.  Mp3 files were done by converting mid to wav with Timidity++ and Razor Lame to convert wav to mp3. Total Investment = $39 for Noteworthy Composer!

Reply #8
Thanks, Tim.

Reply #9
One other thing.  I don't have SB live or any soundcard other then the cheap one that came with my computer, so I save my NWC files as Midi 1 files and play through Timidity++ for great sounding midi that is totally independant of your PC or soundcard. The sound depends only on the sf2 or GUS patches you are using, and sf2 files are widely available on the net.

It may be a little tricky to get set up as Fred allured to, but, if you only have a cheap soundcard, in my opinion, Timidity++ gives you far superior sound capabilities than what you get with anything else like win-amp or wavemaker. (and it is FREEEEE!)

I had a lot of trouble figuring out the setup too, that's why I am trying to make it easier for others. There are millions of people with no soundcards and Timidity++ could change their midi listening lives!

Please let me know if you have success or if I can assist or make the installation directions better...

Reply #10
Tim - thanks so much. Thanks to your "idiot-proof installer" I got it working right off the bat. Now I have a starting point for learning the capabilities of this amazing software.

Interestingly, even though I don't have a very fast computer by today's standards (AMD K6-II/500) it played every midi I've tried so far perfectly, in real-time; whereas Audio Compositor had difficulty with any but the simplest midi files.

Much appreciated!

Reply #11
Well, once I realized that the latest version of Big Merlin is actually later than the one in your example file, and therefore the filename was different (duh!), it works fine! And what a difference the sound font makes. I had been making do with the SB 8Mb font previously, because of the size of the downloads, and since I bought a new machine, I didn't have space for the SB LiveDrive, so I was making do with the built-in sound. Now, however, I've bought a bigger case for my PC, so I have room for the LiveDrive (and yet another spare slot!). And with broadband, downloading a 32Mb soundfont is no big deal, so now I can appreciate the quality of the soundfont. I can also use Timidity to put my music on CD and listen in the car. I only hope my car CD player will play CD-Rs!

Thanks for the tip, Tim - both Timidity and Big Merlin

RObin

Reply #12
Does Noteworthy support midi 1 files? I am looking for a software package that will convert a cda/wav to a midi file in polyphonic mode. I don't want monophonic as this piece I want to convert has several instruments. Thanks!

Reply #13
NoteWorthy Composer does support MIDI Type 0 and Type 1.

The software you require to convert CDA/Wav to polyphonic MIDI - DOES NOT EXIST at this point in time.
Several vendors claim to be able to do this but I have never found one that is even useful.

If someone knows of software that can convert CDA/Wav/Mp3 to multitrack MIDI and are willing to put it to the test with a wave file of an original MIDI file of mine - let me know.
BTW: I want the software to reproduce the file as a multitrack MIDI file that LOOKS and SOUNDS like my original file.

Reply #14
How do I change midis to wavs using timidity??? Help!!!

Reply #15
Load one midi file to timidity GUI.(Example Blue.mid)
In timidity GUI click:
Config
Preference
Output

Choose in Output the option RIFF Wave File.
Choose one name to the file, destination (I use Desktop folder so I can follow what the software is doing) and the option next output file.
Depending of you´ve done the program do the conversion using the name file "Output"
In this case change name file "Output" to Blue.wav (Like the Example name)
Now you can listen your wave file.
I hope that this information help you.

Reply #16
Okay, I did that, and it did convert it, but soundless!  How do I get it to convert it WITH SOUND??

Reply #17
I can't tell you anything about Timidity.  However, if all you want to do is get a wav file out of a midi file, use the recording capability of your operating system or sound card.

If you have Soundblaster, for instance, the software included Creative Wave Studio.  Just open it, and set it to record.  Then play back your midi file.  The sound gets recorded as a WAV file by the program, which you can then save and burn to CD if you wish.

If you need more information, use the search feature to find the articles.  Try searching for "record Windows" or for "Midi to Wav"

Have fun!

Reply #18
I have used Timidity in the past, but it's not that easy to set up. I got some help setting it up in the first place, but I haven't been able to get it to work on my new PC.
However, I discovered SynthFont, which is much easier to use.

Robin