Skip to main content
Topic: Creating separate unrelated staves (Read 7420 times) previous topic - next topic

Creating separate unrelated staves

I would like to create a scale sheet.  The idea is that it would have 10 individual staves with 15 measures each.  The staves should be unrelated to each other in that the beginning of each staff would have a new key signature.  I want the spacing of the notes to be even within that staff.  I don't want other staffs that may have an accidental effecting the spacing of another staff.

I just did a scale sheet, but I think there must be an easier way.  I think I just made one big score and then manipulated the staff size until the next printed line was the next scale.  Everytime I finished one scale, I hit "new staff", changed the key, and put in the notes.  But at the bottom of the page where I had put in some accidentals, the spaces for the accidentals transfered up to the other staves - even though the others do not have accidentals.

Isn't there a way to have every line of music be a brand new piece - so other staves don't effect each other?

Re: Creating separate unrelated staves

Reply #1
Your best bet would be to place each independent item in a separate NWC file, then copy (from print preview) to metafiles, then place the metafiles into a word processing document. That way, they are merely graphical images, utterly unrelated to each other.

Reply #2
Don't use new staffs, just use a forced system break wherever you want to start the next scale.  Then insert a clef and key signature.  If you end up with a natural sign cancelling the previous signature, just make it invisible.  Set staff sizes to fit.  Each 15 bar segment will probably take 2 lines, but if you use landscape, you probably get 1 segment per line.  Only problem is you won't have enough lines per page.

Reply #3
just use a forced system break wherever you want to start the next scale. Then insert a clef and key signature.
Better to insert the invisible key signature before the FSB, then the new key signature on the next line.
If staff size is small enough and [abbr=I would love a real underline...]Increase note spacing for larger note durations[/abbr] is unchecked, you won't need use landscape view, and all of your staves will fit.
My scale sheet has 15 staves (for 15 key signatures) with 15 measures each.

Reply #4
I think I agree with Gary, with one very minor exception.  You won't have to insert the new key signature on the second linen since it will show up automatically.

Thanks, Gary.

Reply #5
If the first line has a key signature of 7 sharps and the second line has a key signature of 6 sharps, then the new key signature will have 6 sharps and one natural.  So I use the invisible key signature on the end of the first line and the visible key signature on the start of the second line.  Using only one doesn't work quite right.

Reply #6
Interesting - it seems to work fine for me.  NWC does place the current key signature at the beginning of each line, so there shouldn't be any need to enter the new signature twice.

Try this:

One staff, treble clef, key=C# major, 6 bars of whole notes, then put a new key signature, Bb major, just before the bar line that separates bars 3 and 4.  Make this key signature invisible.  Make the bar line a forced system break.

Look at it in print preview.  The new key signature should automatically appear on the second line.

Does it work for you?

Reply #7
I get no key sig on the second line.

Reply #8
Gary, when you have no change of key signature, one staff only, when it wraps to the next line in Print Preview does it continue to show the key signature at the beginning of each line?

I've posted my example here - download it and open in NWC, check it in Print Preview to see if the new signature shows on the second line, if it does, compare it item by item to your file.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LBF7HI5LXDSU1RLYO1109G45O

Reply #9
The key sig at the end of the first line is not invisible.
That is why it automatically appears on the second line.
If the key sig at the end of the first line is invisible,
it will not appear on the second line.

Reply #10
Agreed.

I overlooked making it invisible because I was thinking more of the courtesy key change before a system break than of the need to make scales, which is what the original challenge was.

Learn something every day...thanks.