Skip to main content
Topic: Tempo marking - NWC and generic (Read 2287 times) previous topic - next topic

Tempo marking - NWC and generic

I am transcribing a piece for my group, and have come across a question: the piece has a time signature change from 2/2 to 3/4 accompanied by a marking above the staff which is the pictorial equivalent of "dotted half note equals half note."
I suspect this means the dotted half in the 3/4 measure has a duration equivalent to that of a half note in the previous 2/2 measure, and that if the tempo was a quarter note = 120, it will now be a quarter note = 180.

1. Is that correct?
2. Does this pictorial representation have a name?
3. Can I use it in NWC?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Tempo marking - NWC and generic

Reply #1
You are correct.  I don't know if that has a name, but you can add notes as text by inserting the NWCV15 font as a user font.  You will have to have three text comments back to back to back with the outside ones being half notes from the font (upper case "F") and the middle ones being ". = " from an ordinary text font.

An ordinary tempo marking would need to be inserted at about the same point, but you can hide it my changing its visibility tab.

HTH
Since 1998

Re: Tempo marking - NWC and generic

Reply #2
The font(s) I am working on will allow this expression to be inserted as one text item.  I am "finished" with the version that is designed to match the NWCjazz font, and will now continue working on the version that is designed to match the standard NWC font.
Would those of you out there prefer that they have the same font name (like NWC and NWCjazz) so that they have to be swapped out, or different names so that they can be on the system at the same time?