Skip to main content
Topic: Muted Brass Instruments (Read 3986 times) previous topic - next topic

Muted Brass Instruments

In my list of instrument patches, I have Muted Trumpet, but I also need Muted Trombone.  Additionally, I need straight mutes and cup mutes for the brasses, and plunger for the trombones as well.  How do I do this?

Re: Muted Brass Instruments

Reply #1
I always use a muted trumpet sound for muted trombone (GM60), reverting to standard trombone sound (GM58) for the open sound. Standard GM sounds make no distinction for cups, harmon mutes, etc, but you copuld, as a work around, experiment with, for example, a harmonica sound to get different kinds of effects.

Reply #2
In the high register, the Muted Trumpet sounds like a Muted Trumpet, not a Muted Trombone.  And in what way could a harmonica sound help?  I have experimented with it, and it still sounds like a harmonica.

Reply #3
In my list of instrument patches, I have Muted Trumpet, but I also need Muted Trombone....

Just to clarify, those patches are determined by the General Midi standard, and not by Noteworthy. If your soundcard supports soundfonts (e.g. SB Live series) you may be able to download a font which has these effects. Note that a nwc file created using non-standard patches will not produce the desired effect on other machines.

See the user tip https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2337 .

hth.,

Bob

Reply #4
Wow, "soundfonts."  Never heard of that before.  Having trouble with that concept.
I've looked at the tip (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2337), but it looks a little involved.
I wish someone would come to my house and show me...

Reply #5
Never heard of [soundfonts] before. Having trouble with that concept..

Think of it like having different printer fonts, which let you use fancy script for wedding invitations, or imitate a child's scrawl.

Reply #6
"Think of it like having different printer fonts, which let you use fancy script for wedding invitations, or imitate a child's scrawl."

However, unlike most printer fonts which can be used without too much trouble on most printers, soundfonts are less transportable from soundcard to soundcard.  My Vibra 128 can't use them for example.  Ray Z. may or may not be able to play with soundfonts depending on what equipment he has unless he goes the softsynth route, the description of  which I will leave to others more qualified than me.

Stephen

Reply #7
...may or may not be able to play with soundfonts...
I do have SB Live, so I should be okay.

I have no problem with text fonts, in fact, I've made a few.  But all the places to get text fonts from have a sample to view, to see whether they are worth the download.  When I went to http://www.hammersound.net/, I couldn't find any way to preview anything.  And compared to a text font, it's so involved...
I still wish someone would come to my house and walk me through it...