Skip to main content
Topic: Recording songs (Read 3117 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording songs

I'd like to know about the possibility (and HOW to do...) of recording composed NWC songs:
a) in CD (I have the software NERO 5590, 11,9 MB, but till now it wasn't possible);
b) in DVD (directly from/to the receiver);
c) in the "ancient way" (as K-7, tapes and so on).

Re: Recording songs

Reply #1
First, there is a free upgrade to a newer version of Nero: 5.5.9.17 . I don't know what's the difference, but I thought I'd mention it. As far as your questions, I'll hit them tomorrow, I got a bit of work to do.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #2
All of these ways are pretty simple, provided you have the right equipment.

1) To CD or DVD - One way to do this is to save the NWC file as a MIDI (File-Save As-MIDI). Then you have to change the MIDI file to a WAV file. There are a number of programs that can do this, including Sonic Foundry's Acid 4.0, Cakewalk, or probably the cheapest route, a simple program like WinGroove. There are probably tons of freeware programs that will convert MIDI to WAV if you look.
Then open up Nero and select the WAV file to be burned (make sure you select "Create Audio CD" or similar. Burning it onto DVD would be pretty much the same except you would need a DVD burner and burning software, and it would be more expensive and a little wasteful unless you had LOTS of music to burn.

2) Recording analog is also easy. You just need wires to hook up from the speaker output of your computer to the input/microphone on a tape player or K-7 or whatever. You'll probably need to fiddle with the volumes and such to make it clear.

Recording digitally will give you clearer sound, but the instrumentation may sound a little different than you intended because the programs alter the instruments just a bit when  you convert the files. Recording directly onto a analog tape machine will give you the right instrument noises, but the sound quality won't be as good.

good luck

Reply #3
...hook up from the speaker output of your computer to the input/microphone on a tape player...
I was under the impression that these things were at "incompatible" levels.  When I used to do this in college, I always got lots of distortion on the first few notes.  Doesn't something need to be at "line level?"

Reply #4
You will need to adjust the output volume so that it barely clips. This will give you the most volume with the least amount of distortion/clipping

Reply #5
Nero provides a wave editor that can be used to record your midi directly to a wav or mp3 using the system mixer as the source.
The wave editor can be used to trim, normalize or remove the hiss from the wave before converting to mp3 if you wish.
Check out Nero's wave editor (and read the Help file).

Reply #6
My SoundBlaster card has a "Line Out" that I have hooked to an "Aux Input" to my tape deck.  It seems to work with no problems and provides pretty good sound quality for analog.