Skip to main content
Topic: Forte Piano (Read 2528 times) previous topic - next topic

Forte Piano

How can I do a forte piano in a song? I've seen it done with one of the songs on the Scriptorium, so I know it's possible. What's the trick?

Re: Forte Piano

Reply #1
I've done fp's using expression mpc events. (Watch out. Not all sound cards support the expression controller, and some, including the SoundBlaster AWE64, react oddly to the use of multiple simultaneous expression events, particularly when channel 16 is involved.)

I'd love to hear how others have solved this problem differently.

Reply #2
Volume mpc's work also. These are what I use when I want to be sure it'll work with as many soundcards as possible. The drawback is that it rather defeats the purpose of having expression control "local" volume, reserving the volume controller for "master" volume; if you want to change the overall volume of an entire staff you have to go through and change all volume mpc's accordingly.

Reply #3
just a thought--Could you make two staves, a play and a visual. One the visual, just make text that says fp one the play break the note into two tied notes one the value of forte, the other of piano. Make the dynamics forte and piano under the two notes.

Reply #4
No. That's because dynamics use note-on velocity, which only occur when a note is sounded. Since the two notes are tied, it is in effect just one note (as far as midi is concerned) so there would be no effect from the "p" instruction at the tied note.

However, if that p instruction had a volume over-ride, it would accomplish approximately the same thing as a volume mpc at that point... except that the volume change would be abrupt, whereas by using an mpc you can do a linear sweep to make the change more gradual (and therefore more realistic).