Skip to main content
Topic: NoteWorthy Composer for a friend. (Read 6577 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteWorthy Composer for a friend.

My friend has a Mac, but wants NoteWorthy Composer without having to pay all the money for VirtualPC or something like that.
My question is, why hasn't a Mac version of NoteWorthy been written?

Thank you,
<a href="mailto:atero@pobox.alaska.net">Stuart Ravn</a>

Re: NoteWorthy Composer for a friend.

Reply #1
Because they have to add a drum track feature first!

Reply #2
We do not offer a MAC version. If we were selling one, we would not be keeping it a secret.

Reply #3
That wasn't my question. My questioon was WHY aren't you offering a Mac version?

Reply #4
The answer to this is the same as it is for all other programs written for PC's only.

Would you write a program with a total potential market of about five customers?

Remember when Adobe wrote for only the Mac. If they had not decided to write for the PC, Adobe would be only a dim memory.

Reply #5
well, 5 isn't very fair these days.
there are more macs than ever before and with the net now who needs pcs? you can go out and buy a mac that does everything and its hardware is better than the pc.

music recording, sequencing and notation, and graphic design and publishing has been the domain of the mac for ages. in fact there are some awesome notation programs that have only been written for the mac and its only in recent years that they've converted them for PC as well.

so for what its worth noteworthy has more important development issues than writing a mac version. there are lots of MAC notation programs out there, but PCs are noteworthy's staple diet :-)

Reply #6
Well, I bet the trouble is, try to find an available C++ Mac Developer!
I personally have the same trouble. The same goes for Linux, btw.
Note that Mac users are much more than 5% when talking about music!!! Moreover, they are more connected to the I*net either.
Should I add that ProTools was designed for Mac ?
Please don't talk about what you ignore.
And managing a so-called minority is not a loss, but a proof of an open mind. (Don't reverse my assertion please)

JIC, HTH, Marsu

Reply #7
Marsu, your English is usually quite good. However, I think you misunderstand the English meaning of "ignore", which is "refuse to pay attention to; pretend not to see". "Talking about what you ignore" is almost an oxymoron in English.

I think what you really wanted to say was "Please don't talk about what you know nothing about."

<I'm just trying to be helpful.>

Reply #8
Sorry for that, Grant.

Note that in French, "ignorer" has the two meanings.
It seemed to me that it was the same in English, but after all ENglish is my 3rd language :-/
Hoping you weren't offended, anyway.

Brgds, and thank you for the compliment :^)

Dominique

Reply #9
Two meanings? I was aware of one, which is "not to be aware of" or "not to know". Is the other one equivalent to the English meaning? If so, is this a case of English influence on the French meaning? How could the Académie let this happen???

(English "ignorant", by the way, still has the meaning "unaware, unknowing", without the connotation of intentional disregard that has become a necessary part of "ignore". Go figure.)

Reply #10
...Getting slightly off subject...

Anyway, I agree with Marsu. More than half the people I know use Macs, and a lot of them want a descent, well priced MIDI sequencer. But they don't want to pay for an emulator to get a PC only sequencer.

I was quite annoyed, Gordon, at your question, "would you write a program with a total potential market of about five customers?", one, because it's a foolish statement to make because there are just as many Mac users as PC users that want to have a sequencer, and two, it's a rude thing to say. And I wasn't asking NoteWorthy to write for Mac only.

I, and most people who have used both Macs and PCs, believe that Macs are much easier to use. The next computer I get will be a Mac, and I will still want to use NoteWorthy on it, which is another reason I asked my original question.
Lastly, I would prefer ignorance did not answer my questions, but rather the NoteWorthy Staff.

Reply #11
I gather that many NWC users use it (as intended) to compose music and create playable tracks, whereas others (such as myself) are non-musicians who like its easy-to-use interface for creating sheet music. Maybe many users are in both categories.

The last time I checked, MACs were fairly popular among the educational set. Perhaps many of them would be potential customers for the sheet-music capability, if they do not also have access to a PC. I have no idea regarding the size (in terms of dollars) of the potential market. It might be worth NWC's time to find out by asking around at some schools. Asking current users might be the wrong approach.

Just a suggestion! Hey, remember that NWC, like anything else, presumably goes where the money is.

Reply #12
I assume that Grant has chosen, whilst correcting Marsu's English, 'to ignore' the elementary grammatical prescription that no sentence shall end with a preposition. I believe that the sentence in question should read: "Please, do not talk of that, about which you know nothing." May Marsu accept my appreciation for writing in a manner which was, I am sure, understood immediately by all.
I am, also, just trying to help.

Reply #13
Dear Peter,

The "rule" about not ending sentences with prepositions was invented and promulgated by people who believed that the best guide to the proper use of English was to be sought in the classical languages. In fact, it is perfectly natural in English to end sentences with prepositions, and the best authors have been doing it at least since Chaucer's day, despite the grammarians' best efforts.

I think Winston Churchill said it best when he said: "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put."

Yours in extreme helpfulness,

Grant

Reply #14
OK, try making this sentence not end with a preposition:

"No Macintosh is easy to write software for."

- seb

Reply #15
How about:

"No one finds it easy to write software for a Macintosh."

As was pointed out, ending sentences with prepositions is natural in English, under certain circumstances. The same applies some other European languages in which a root verb has a meaning modified by a preposition. In fact, German includes the preposition in the infinitive form.

In English, there is a difference between "to believe" and "to believe in." Examples: I do not believe in the tooth fairy. I do not believe a certain politician's statements. Fairies are hard to believe in. But if I wrote that fairies are hard to believe, it would mean that generally speaking, fairies exist and are liars.

To bring this around to the topic of music, I invite all of you to think of the number of times in popular music (especially in the early 1960s) where the syntax was slaughtered. Proper syntax would have disturbed the rhythm.

Reply #16
I quote Sir Ernest Gowers in "The Complete Plain Words": "Do not hesitate to end a sentence with a preposition if your ear tells you that is where the preposition goes best."

I would recommend this book, originally intended as a sort of house style book for the British Civil Service, as a highly readable, unstuffy source of good advice on how to write clearly. If only more British Civil Servants paid attention to it!

Gowers quotes the following extreme example with four consecutive prepositions at the end of a sentence, reportedly used by a Governess to a child "What did you choose that book to be read to out of for?" Gower points out "She said what she wanted to say perfectly clearly, in words of one syllable, and what more can one ask?".

Stephen Randall

Reply #17
Don't remember the author of this little bit of nonsense, but it's stuck with me all these years...

"I lately lost a preposition; I thought he'd hid beneath my chair.
And angrily I cried, "Perdition! Up from out of in under there!"
Correctness is my 'vade mecum', and straggling phrases I abhor,
And yet I wondered, "What should he come up from out of in under for?"

:)