Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy to Finale? (Read 3928 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy to Finale?

I use Noteworthy since several years and am very happy about it. I'll probably never buy Finale, both because of the cost and because it's said to be very difficult to learn.

A friend of mine, however, uses Finale. Is there a way to create and send NWC files so that they can be imported into Finale?

Paul

Re: Noteworthy to Finale?

Reply #1
Finale is very powerful with lots of options. It is, correspondingly, more difficult to use. For my purposes, I found Noteworthy to be an ideal program.

Currently, a Noteworthy file could be exported to a midi format and the midi imported. Although I have not tried this, Finale does have a lyrics screen that might allow lyrics to be separately paste/copied from the Noteworthy lyrics screen. There may be some other folks out there who have actually worked regularly with both programs who can better comment on the matter.

I think there is NIFF format that has been proposed as a uniform standard. I am not sure, but that format may allow for transfer of lyrics between programs. Gurus like Fred Nachbauer, Sue Morton, or the like may have additional information in that area.

Hope that helps.

Reply #2
Guru? :> I think I'll let Fred stand alone in that category. But thanks for the vote of confidence!

Reply #3
Paul-

I'd say you would have decent success exporting the file as a MIDI from NWC and importing into Finale (with regards to the notation, not so sure about how to do the lyrics). As I'm sure you've seen before, some MIDI files look like a nightmare on import, while others look pretty good without almost no editing. I think this is due to the difference in how the MIDI file was created. Those which were played in through a MIDI instrument will have all kinds of weird ties and note lengths, while those which were created with a notation and/or sequencer tend to be more precise. I have a friend who uses Finale, so I'll try to send him a NWC created MIDI file and see how it imports into Finale, and then let everyone know how it works.

Reply #4
I exported several NWC scores as MIDI files and imported them into Finale 2000. For the most part, it worked well. For a couple of files, the import options in Finale had to be adjusted, but it ended up looking mostly like the original NWC score (grace notes didn't work, but imported as 16ths). A couple of the files were for saxophone quartet, so both the tenor and baritone sax parts imported into Finale as bass clef (which of course, in the MIDI, is where those notes would sound). However, overall, I'd say you could exchange files with your friend in this fashion reasonably well.

Reply #5
Thanks a lot - I'll give it a try (and this fourm is wonderful).

Paul