Skip to main content
Topic: polyrythms (3 against 2...) (Read 2680 times) previous topic - next topic

polyrythms (3 against 2...)

Is it possible to hide the "3" on top of the triplets if you are in common time, but one hand (of a marimba solo) will be playing triplets for most of the piece while the other hand is playing 8th notes? I don't want to write each hand in a different time signature. can someone help me out? I need to know if this is possible before I purchase the software.

-Leo

Re: polyrythms (3 against 2...)

Reply #1
This and many similar operations can be accomplished on the new V1.70 beta, by using a (hidden) different time signature (e.g. 12/16) and inserting the "real" (displayed) signature as text.

Reply #2
Fred, have I missed something? My crotchets still line up with each other on the two staffs, whatever the time signature, whereas what is wanted here is that dotted crotchets (in 12/8) line up with crotchets (in 4/4).

Reply #3
Sorry, I didn't explain fully. As an example: treble clef plays triplet 1/8's against straight 1/8's in the bass in 2/4 time. Assign 6/8 time signature to _both_ staves, add phantom 2/4 sig using text insertion. In the treble staff, enter the notes as usual. (Beam groups of three for "implicit triplets".) In the bass staff, enter 1/8's separated by 1/16 (hidden) rests. The performance may therefore be more marcato than you'd like, in which case have a separate (hidden) staff in which the bass notes are dotted 1/8's, and mute the visible staff. Unfortunately, we can't (yet) beam notes across rests (even hidden ones).

Reply #4
I have one rather sneaky way around this using 3/4 or equivalent time. You can imitate a 4/4 time signature by using a dotted note of half the intended length. For instance, a 4/4 quarter note can be imitated by a dotted eighth in 3/4 time.

Just use beamed eighths as your triplets and dotted 1/16 notes for your "eighths" in 3/4 time.