Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Playback (Read 7974 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Playback

I'm having a problem getting my Yamaha PSR-220 keyboard to playback a NWC song. I used to be able to do it, but have since had to re-install Windows 95 because of another problem. Any ideas!

Re: MIDI Playback

Reply #1
Will your keyboard playback ANY midi files?
Try playing Canyon.mid, or something, through Mplayer and see what happens.
Most likely problem is simply a configuration thing on your midi playback.
Check Control Panel's Multimedia | Midi settings,
and NWC's Midi options.

Actually the most likely problem is the cables being plugged incorrectly. It gets me every time. ;-)

Andrew

Reply #2
You may have to reinstall your soundcard software as well. If your sound works, then stops working after installing or reinstalling Win 95, the fix is almost always to reinstall the soundcard drivers from the soundcard's setup diskette or CD.

Reply #3
or from new drivers from their website.

Reply #4
I need the midi drivers for the Magicwave 32 Voice wavetable audio DR-SW801

Reply #6
I need help! I cannot play any midi related sounds...
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the sound card,
but that didn't work! My sound card is an opti, but i get
nowhere at their site any ideas?

Reply #7
Help... I don't know what to do. I can play midi and wave files but I am unable to play songs that I write and record. What do I do?

Reply #8
Chelsey - Have you tried to see if Canyon.mid will play?
Try double clicking on it from My Computer.

Cecile - Have a look at Tools Options Midi and change the right hand window. Make sure that it has only Midi Mapper in.

Failing that try an option from the left hand window that has FM in the title.

Rich

Reply #9
Could it be something as simple as you have MIDI sound muted? Go to the system "Settings" then to "Multimedia". On the left-most tab, labeled "Audio" is a little speaker, and a box to check if you want these settings to appear on your system toolbar. Check this box, and the little speaker will appear on your tool bar all the time.

Double click (be sure to double click) the little speaker, and a screen will come that enables you to set volume control for a number of audio options, including MIDI. Be sure the "Mute" box under MIDI is not checked, and that the volume is set properly.

Reply #10
All of you dont seem to know how to solve a problem as complex as I will be giving... I have the yamaha psr 220 and a soundblaster live. I also have midisoft recording session and cakewalk 5.0. My keyboard does not respond to my pc in any way what so ever. Yes the in is in and the out is out. I have added the external midi device in my sound card configuration. I feel that the problem rests whithin the keyboard its self... Any sugestions? Fox Palmer

Reply #11
"In is In and Out is Out"
But in and out of where?

The cable marked 'In' means into the computer and should plug into your keyboard midi-OUT.

The cable marked 'Out' means out of the computer and should plug into your keyboard midi-IN.

If that's how your set up then I'm sorry I've told what you already know.

Reply #12
Usually, this failure is a result of one of the following, in order of most to least likely:

- input/output crossed at the keyboard end
- improper MIDI input driver setup on the computer
- faulty MIDI cable
- faulty port on the sound card (some sound cards fail to support MIDI input right out of the box)
- faulty keyboard

Your best bet is to separate your components and test them individually until you locate the fault. Test the keyboard, computer, and cable separately with other MIDI hardware that is known to work.

You might want to add NoteWorthy Composer to your list of apps that you use, as well.

Reply #13
What do you mean as 'improper MIDI Input driver setup' ? How can I setup a Midi input driver ?

Thanks in advance
Giulio

Reply #14
Is there a step by step resource for configuring the Yamaha PSR-220 keyboard into a win 95 box.

Have played abit with Midi settings in Control Panel =>Multimedia

Individually each works fine, wires correctly attached, but can't record to Micrsoft default recorder.

PS => Not planning on being a PSR expert or Midi freak. Just need to sample a couple notes.

Many Thanks

John