Skip to main content
Topic: How do I get a pause ? (Read 3164 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I get a pause ?

Can any of you tell me how do I get a "pause" in NWC (the half-circle with a dot ?

Re: How do I get a pause ?

Reply #1
It is called a "fermata", and is under the
Insert / Tempo variance menu item.

Reply #2
Hi Stephen,
Thank you verymuch for the prompt reply....
I got it....
- Sam

Reply #3
Funny, in French the "pause" term is used for whole rest...
the "pause" you mention is called "point d'orgue", i.e. organ point (since only organs can keep the sound running for hours --except some instruments with a special technique called "infinite breathing" as recorder/flute for instance)
And not to mention bowed instruments when player is good enough not to let hear the direction change of the bow ;)

Reply #4
In italian language, that sign is called "Corona", that means crown.

Reply #5
I'm used to hearing it called the fermata, but I have also heard people call it a "bird's eye." Referencing to Marsu's post that said "(since only organs can keep the sound running for hours --except some instruments with a special technique called "infinite breathing" as recorder/flute for instance)," I believe the technique is called "circular breathing," (at least that is what I have always heard it called) and it is not dependent on the instrument, but rather the instrumentalist. It's a very difficult technique to learn, I can only do it for a short period of time (I play clarinet), but I have heard/seen it done on trumpet, clarinet, and many other instruments.

Reply #6
Regarding cyclic breathing, I heard from a reliable source that Kenny G has set an official world record by sustaining a single note on a saxophone for 45 minutes.
That may be the "official" (Guinness?) record, but I'd bet there are some Didgeridoo players for whom 45 minutes would be a light warmup!