Skip to main content
Topic: Downloading music files (Read 4091 times) previous topic - next topic

Downloading music files

Well, here I am among all these grand musicians and technophiles. I know little about music, but my question is more in my own realm, the technology.

I have a copy of Noteworthy Composer 1.31d on my computer. I have ordered the program (even though I know so little about music) and so have registered what is on my machine.

Yesterday I got on line and explored the web site. I found the music modules and downloaded several of them. When I got offline, I went to some of the files in the folder where I'd downloaded them and double-clicked them. The program was loaded, but then an error message saying that the music file that I'd double-clicked either didn't exist or was corrupted. That happened in each case. (I couldn't figure out how to un-zip the compressed files, but that's another question.) I looked at the files in Notepad, and they looked just like files to me, starting out with [NWZ] on the first line.

Surely this is not because of an older version of the program. What have I done wrong??

I bought the program because I love to play with music even though I know so little about it. I learned in school how to read it more or less, but there is a lot of terminology I do not understand; and the help files assume the user does understand. Perhaps I will be back with terminology and concept questions.

Re: Downloading music files

Reply #1
Well... I think you'll find that most of us are "hobby musicians" like yourself, and just as baffled by technology...

Anyway, I suspect that your problems are indeed from having an older version of the program. A lot of new features have been included since the version you have, which the poor "older" program just can't make heads or tails of.

While you're waiting for your new version to come in the mail, you can download the new version from NoteWorthy's website. Just follow the links to download the version for your machine (16-bit for Windows 3.x, 32-bit for Win95 or Win98). Uninstall the old one, install the new one. NoteWorthy will send you your registration code by e-mail, so you don't have to wait for the post to be listening to other users' music files.

Regarding zip files - the "friendliest" zip utility is probably WinZip, you can get a shareware evaluation version from http://winzip.com.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Reply #3
Thanks -- I'll try your suggestions.

Reply #4
I wouldn't even go so far as uninstalling the prior version. In my experience (going back to 1.2) you can just run the setup for the new version, and it'll autoinstall right over the top of whatever you have on your machine. If the existing copy was already registered, the new version will pick up on that and not ask for your registration again.

And NTWorthy did go to a new schema somewhere around 1.3, so your version won't be able to read files generated with a newer version. You definitely need to upgrade.

If you uninstall and do a fresh install with the new version, then you'll probably have to have your registration codes handy. (And if you're anything like me, after 2 years who knows where that code disappeared to... :-)

Reply #5
I downloaded from the web site, uninstalled my old version (a piece of cake, no reason not to), and installed the new version. The system still had my registration info -- probably in the Windows 98 registry -- somewhere where uninstall didn't affect it. When I received the floppy in the mail yesterday, I repeated the procedure, although the documentation (which I read later) said I could install over the top of 1.5x; and although I probably was installing the same version.

Having read the information more closely (it sometimes takes several tries), I realize that it was already stated that I couldn't run new modules with the old program.

Reply #6
has any one got a reg. key that they can give me

Reply #7
Boy, some people have a lot of gall. If you use it, pay for it. The price is more than reasonable for what you get.

Reply #8
Registration Key

Comment: Can someone give me a key?

After spending over 1,000.00 for a PC someone says can I have a key so I don't have to pay for it. How cheap can you get. PAY FOR THE PROGRAM.