Skip to main content
Topic: Printing probs (Read 5466 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing probs

I am having trouble printing from NWC2. I am using NWC2 under wine, & have been having no probs, but lately, when I go to print; all I get back is the title, author, & one line of staff paper - no key sig, no staves or clefs, no notes, no lyrics, etc - in short no msusic whatsoever. Any help??? I tried uninstalling & reinstalling but to no avail.

-The Doctor

Re: Printing probs

Reply #1
G'day Doc,
wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I can't.  I'm not a linux or wine guru...  What I can do is ask a few questions that may help to clarify where to look...

1) can you print successfully from linux?
2) can you print successfully from other windows apps. under wine?
3) have there been any changes to your configuration (driver updates etc.)?
4) how is cups/lpr set up for this printer?
5) are you using a cups driver/filter or printing raw?
6) has the driver/filter been changed?
7) are you using Postscript or trying to use windows printer drivers in wine?
8) has ghostscript's config been modified?
9) if applicable, has the windows printer driver config been modified?

Perhaps these links can help:
http://www.la-sorciere.de/Wine-HOWTO/wineprintconfig.html
http://matt.bottrell.com.au/archives/223-Stop-whining-about-Wine-printing!.html
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
all I get back is the title, author, & one line of staff paper - no key sig, no staves or clefs, no notes, no lyrics, etc.
Possibly, NWC2STDA.TTF is not properly registered as a printer font. It appears that printing stops when it tries to print using NWC2STDA.TTF.

Try this:
  • Print the sample file: VOLTEST.NWC
  • Change the Notation Typeface to "Symbol" (I am assuming you can print the Symbol font)
  • Print the sample file again.
If you have no TimeSig in the 1st printing and 4/4 shows up in the 2nd printing, your setup is not recognizing NWC2STDA.TTF as a printer font.

More discussion of Wine printing problems <here>. Earlier releases had problems dealing with symbol fonts (Marlett, WingDings, etc.)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I can print under NWC1  & wine. But, when I tried to print some of my NWC2 files, I get the prob mentioned earlier. So, how do I properly install the 'symbol' font I need???

Reply #4
G'day doc,
I can print under NWC1  & wine. But, when I tried to print some of my NWC2 files, I get the prob mentioned earlier. So, how do I properly install the 'symbol' font I need???

As an experiment to see whether Rick has correctly identified the problem could you try this:
Using another application, NWC v1.75 would do, and select NWC2STDA as a user font and create a text object.  Does the text object print?  If yes, then it is likely that NWC2STDA is correctly registered.  If not then that is the direction to explore.

Reply #5
Hello, Lawrie.

What I tried may have not quite been what you suggested, as I did not know quite how to create a text object in NWC1, but here's what I did. I took one of the samples (God Save the Queen - being somewhat of an anglophile - lol) & for the lyric text font, I changed it to the NWC2 whatever - when I printed it, I got symbols for the text instead of a normal text. So, does that mean that NWC2 etc is registered? If so, what next???

-The Doctor

Reply #6
G'day Doc,
that works for me.  I would think that the font is correctly registered or you wouldn't get the symbols as lyrics, so...

At this point I am at something of a loss.  I am simply not familiar enought with linux or wine...

One thought has just occurred to me.  Does this problem exist with only one song file or everything you do in NWC2?

Next experiment, open one of the sample files and try to print it.  (|File|Open Samples...|)  Is this OK or does it exhibit the same problem?

Reply #7
I tried to open Jingle Bells, and it printed fine. So, I don't know where to go now???

-The Doctor

Reply #8
Depends on where you are. It seems you have moved from:
lately, when I go to print; all I get back is the title, author, & one line of staff paper
Sample files print correctly. Some song that you have created does not.

Most of the sample files use only 2 fonts. NWC2STDA and 'Times New Roman'. These seem to print correctly.

If your problem song uses other fonts, the problem may lie there. Try changing the other fonts in the song to 'Times New Roman'. If this prints, your problem is a font that makes Wine whine. Find out which font(s) and stop using it/them.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Thanks, Rick. I finally figured out what font wine was 'whinning' about & changed it out to another font, & now - no prob. Thanks again Rick & thanks to Lawrie for sticking this one out for so long.

-The Doctor

Reply #10
Did those files use a custom NWC2 symbol font, or was it just one of the user fonts that caused this problem?