Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing Chord Symbols (Read 5266 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing Chord Symbols

This is the one thing I don't like about NWC.

I can transpose very easily,  but transposing chords, because they are done as text entries, must be redone by hand in the new key.

Now I know how to transpose, and I do this on gigs.  But when I'm doing a lead sheet,  the chords have to be in the new key, or othewise,  why bother.

In Band-In-A-Box, a simple transposition changes everything, including the chord symbols, and I think what NWC programmers need to do is allow for a way to enter chords other than via the text entry mechanism,  and this can be endowed with the ability to transpose, right along with the notes.  Of course, it must address issues of enharmonics, as well.

Has anyone put this on the wish list, or is there an update which solves the issue?

Best,

Patrick

Re: Transposing Chord Symbols

Reply #1
Patrick,

This is resolved in NWC2 by using the User Tool TRANSPOSE_CHORDS.PHP created by Andrew Purdam.  If you haven't signed up for the Beta testing of NWC2 you really should.  With the new architecture and User Tools many changes one might want to globally make in a score is made much easier in NWC2.

Reply #3
I think this could easily be added by Noteworthy.
If I was the programmer here, I would think of a chord as an extended text expression.

The first part would be the key of the chord
eg. C, A, B, Bb, F# etc and the second part would be the chords modifiers eg. min, 7, sus2, add9 etc

Basically the modifiers are  just text, we don't worry about them as they won't change in transposition.
We would save the key as f.ex. an integer and have the user choose from a list just like in key sigs.

NWC already have the ability to transpose the key as it already does the key signature.

The next step is to link the chords key to the MIDI transposition value.

I write a song for piano and add chords for guitar, I then transpose for my cornet, that would be 2 up and update playback.
The guitar chords would not change since MIDI transposition is -2
I was thinking of adding this to the wish list but I would like to hear some feedback first.
What do you think?

Reply #4
I made a mockup of the Notation Property Window I had in mind in VB.NET
found here
Since this place only host images, I renamed the ZIP-file to a GIF.
Just rename it back to a ZIP and open .