Skip to main content
Topic: Midi Mapper (Read 4631 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi Mapper

I use Windows XP Pro and have a Soundblaster Live sound card.
When I go to Tools/Options and open the midi tab, I have a choice of 6 different play devices of , one of which is Midi Mapper.  But if I try to use Midi Mapper I get the message that Midi Mapper failed to open. All the other devices seem to open without problems.  Is there any obvious reason why Midi Mapper  is not available?

Re: Midi Mapper

Reply #1
The Same happens to me, my theory is that MIDI mapper isn't actually a sound card and as such would not have any sounds to load

Reply #2
I think Midi Mapper was part of Windows, and I may be mistaken, but I think it was discontinued sometime before Windows XP was released.

Reply #3
The MIDI Mapper is in Windows XP (it's in all version of Windows), but is not called out by name in the operating system in recent releases.

In Windows XP, look in the Control Panel under [abbr=Microsoft is always changing the name of this with each new release...it is called Sounds and Multimedia in Windows 2000]Sounds and Audio Devices[/abbr], MIDI music playback. This is the device that will be used by the MIDI Mapper.

Reply #4
Unless you know what you are doing, you should always select only one device at a time for use in play back by NWC.

If a device fails to open, then one of the following is true:

• the device is in use by some other program

• the device is in use by NWC because you selected multiple devices for use in play back

• the device has a setup problem, and is not functioning on your system

Reply #5
From time to time I get that message that the device has failed to open. Restarting the computer usually fixes it.

Stephen

Reply #6
I frequently get the "device will not open" when I've inadvertently opened another NWC file and therefore have two NWC processes running.  (Often it's the same file!)  At least for me, clicking on an NWC file from the desktop doesn't open it in the existing NWC process (if there is one).

(It could be something in my setup that got fubarred - that's happened a lot on my old Win98 system.)