Skip to main content
Topic: Setting different staves to different instruments (Read 4423 times) previous topic - next topic

Setting different staves to different instruments

I downloaded the shareware demo yesterday, and try as I might; I cannot get the staves to play different instruments symotaniously.  (I know i spelled that wrong)  Does anyone know what's going on?  I can change the stave's patches in mid-play, but can't get them to play at the same time on different patches, so all parts are played on the same intrument.

Re: Setting different staves to different instruments

Reply #1
Each stave will only play one instrument at a time.  You can change that instrument with patches but only the last patch read will be the instrument playing.  If you want two instruments playing at the same time you have to add another stave.

Welcome to the NWC group and have fun.
The Hankster

Reply #2
Ummm, that's what I did.  I set up two different staves, with two different melodies and two different instrument patches and they both play on the same instrument.

Reply #3
Be certain that the two staves are assigned to different midi channels. Otherwise they will play the instrument patch assigned most recently, or on the last staff if simultaneous.

Reply #4
Each instrument needs to be on a different channel.
Press F2, select the Midi tab, then set the channel.
Channel 10 (or 16 on some systems) is for percussion.  The other channels are for whatever you want.

Reply #5
Ohhh!  Fred beat me to it!

Reply #6
Will try it.

Reply #7
Ok, now I've got a question, doesn't NWC automatically increase the channel number whenever you add another staff?  I just took a look at a song I entered with 8 staffs and they had channel numbers smoothly running up to 8 and I didn't set 'em.

Reply #8
Yes, NWC does try to be accomodating and assign unused channels to new staves. Usually this is a good thing, but sometimes it can backfire. (For example, when you reach the tenth staff it doesn't skip over the percussion track channel 10, and you have to manually increment it to 11.)

Reply #9
Yeah, it worked (though I had to try it twice, maybe I'm missing something else)  Thank you!!!

Reply #10
Right on Fred, thanx for clearing that up.