Skip to main content
Topic: Why do some midi's convert when others won't? (Read 2689 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do some midi's convert when others won't?

I am totally new to this, so please be patient.  I have had gread success converting midi to wav for burning onto a CD as accompaniment music, however, I had a friend play me some music on a Yamaha electronic piano and the midi files we saved have no sound when I convert them.  I can PLAY the midi files on my computer (through Windows Media Player) but I can't convert them.  Any idea why and what I can try?

Re: Why do some midi's convert when others won't?

Reply #1
Without knowing how you "converted" your midi to wav files (i.e. what software you used to render the midi into a wav) it's difficult to give any pointers.

The (dare I say) "usual" method of making a wav file from a midi is to play the midi as always, using your midi player of choice, and simultaneously record it using a wav recorder program. Such recorder programs are usually included in the software package that comes with sound cards. (Windows even comes with one, but it's severely limited since it doesn't write direct to disk, so will typically have an under one minute limit imposed by system RAM.)

Reply #2
Fred,
I'm using WinAmp.  I think it has something to do with setting up my sound fonts but I'm not sure how to do that? As I said, I was using WinAmp and converting midi files I found on the net just fine, then I tried these that I saved from the Yamaha Clavinova and I get no sound.

Reply #3
Ah. Sorry, but that leaves me stumped. Ertugrul iNANC has done quite a bit of work using WinAmp's midi recording facility, but unfortunately his internet access has been severely limited lately. You might have a look at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2550, though, there might be something there that will click for you.