Skip to main content
Topic: Auto Rest Fill-in Command Available? (Read 2961 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto Rest Fill-in Command Available?

Is there a command that will fill-in the other bars I specify (in other staves) automatically with the correct measure of rests as I am writing in the notes for the active stave? If not...oh, PLEASE MAKE ONE SOON or there is no hope that I can write a song in under 6 months, if I have to keep going back and figuring out where I need another 1/8th or 1/16th rest or if I need another bar to fill in up to the next chord I give to the left hand or whatever!!!!! Can anyone relate or is everyone out there mathematic or musical genii?

Re: Auto Rest Fill-in Command Available?

Reply #1
Conforming with accepted 20th century practice, Noteworthy usually recognizes the whole rest as having any value that fills up an entire measure, regardless of time signature. The only time I've encountered any different behavior is if you are using mixed meter (alternating 6/8 and 4/8 for example, but only writing it once at the beginning).

You might not have a complete measure, or have too many beats if you have to constantly calculate eighth notes.
-j

Disclaimer: I realize that "accepted 20th century practice" could be interpreted as an oxymoron. I was referring to Gardner Read's notation manual and it's treatment of whole rests.

Reply #2
If all else fails, you can add tiny rests (e.g. 32nds) until the measure is filled up. It will be obvious when this happens because the bar lines will align perfectly. Then go back and consolidate the tiny rests into larger durations (2 32nds into a 16th, 2 16ths into an 8th, etc.)

Reply #3
YOU'RE SO SWEET! I just love this software company and this terrific forum....and ya, like, that is what I'm doing with the little rests and going back and making bigger rests, like a pac-man game in slow motion, or in a bad dream and that's when it occurred to me how logical an auto-feature would be, unless you like pacman in slow motion or don't have deadlines.....and incidentally, I really didn't sign any specific time to this song, it's like, another thing I could care less about, as it appears to be redundant when I plan on telling the music how long to hold each note and there's no percussion to the piece. Hey, I am just the voice of ignorant objectivity here giving some program developer an idea of how to earn her/his bread this month...but that's another subject I know not of....God bless you all and please pray for me, I have no idea why God would give me this job, have to fight to write it in the first place, fight for time on the program to perform it, lose out for a whole year and now fight again for time to perform it and find out that I have to write it for real from out of my head onto paper that a real pianist can play but all the singers only sing from ear and they all need a tape of just their part which I dearly hoped NWC could do for me once I got all 3 voices written besides piano.....I believe that song-writers should earn tons of money...this is hard

Reply #4
You've probably figured this out already, but if you do each voice on its own staff, it'll be easy to get a tape of each part separately. Either highlight the part you need and paste it into a new file, or save the whole score with a new name and delete all the parts except the one you want, thne go back to the original version and repeat this for each part... Then play that part and tape it. And, having broken my heart this way once, make sure you save a backup copy of the whole score before you start deleing things. And don't forget that Ctrl+Z will undo almost anything.

Reply #5
Further to the previous reply (no 4) there is no need to delete staves to produce a tape of an individual part. You can use the Mute facility to mute any number of staves, just playing one at a time, or any combination you want. In my opinion this is one of the most useful NWC features - I will often enter a whole piece into NWC just so that I can hear 'my' part on its own, then when I get more practised I can mute 'my' part, play the other parts and try to sing along.