Skip to main content
Topic: Problem beaming chords (Read 3269 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem beaming chords

When I have 2 notes of equal height in a chord one has stem up the other has stem down that is the current representation.
The problem arise when I try to beam two chords and I have 2 notes of equal height in at least one of it : NWC beams only 1 note in the chord... From what I have seen, the normal representation is 2 beams one with stem up the other down.

Re: Problem beaming chords

Reply #1
Are you making a chord (with Ctrl-Entree) or using layering??
just to know.
bonne semaine!

Reply #2
I am making a chord with Ctrl-Enter.

Reply #3
If I understand your problem, I'm afraid I have bad news. NWC simply refuses to beam stem-up and stem-down notes simultaneously. This has been true for quite some time.

You could go to the wish list and request a change, but to be honest I doubt you'd get very far, since you can work around the problem using staff layering .

Reply #4
My sense is that it's precisely because of this and other limitations in the chording algorithms that the staff layering feature was developed. I can't recommend it too highly for multiple-voice staves.

Reply #5
Marsu you have asked the good question : thanks to you I have discovered what the layering funtion is ! :-)).
But I am very angry :-() against the way the help is written : there is no cross-reference from "chord" to "layering" (or the reverse): I have searched for all the occurnce of the 2 words...
There is no definition of what the layering function does so I have skiped this function that was not important enough to be described !
So I have gone to the old forum and readen (some hours even if this time is not lost) the 65 threads on it ! I have discovered that information has been given once upon a time in 2 files : http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/files/xprmntl.zip and http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertip2.htm#layer unfortunately they have vanished and cannot be found...
I am new on the internet and before I had no access to the forum and no way to know the experimental functions ! The help should take into account the poor guy that has just it!

Reply #6
You do not need these files anymore. You can get a layered file by selecting File | New | SATB. This will give you a new file that uses layering.