Skip to main content
Topic: How do you make quintuplets? (Read 2806 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you make quintuplets?

How do you make quintuplets? Please help!

Re: How do you make quintuplets?

Reply #1
There are you ways perhaps:

1) Beg Noteworthy to develope "n"-tuplets!

2) Make a semiquaver triplet followed by a 2 semi's:

In order to lengthen the triplet semiquavers into quintuplet semiquavers, you need to increase the note duration in real time by a fraction of 6/5's.
Thus if your tempo is 100 notes/min, insert the new slower tempo for the triplets at (100 x 5/6) notes/min.

In order to shorten the 2 semiquavers into quintuplet semiquavers, you need to decrease the note duration in real time by a fraction of 4/5's.
Thus if your tempo is 100 notes/min, insert the new faster tempo for the 2 semi's at (100 x 5/4) notes/min.

A bit clumsy but works OK... HTH

Reply #2
This idea can be simplified somewhat. Let's say you want to play five 1/8 notes in the time normally taken by 4. Increase the tempo by a factor of 5/4, then reset it again afterwards. (Example: if you're at mm=100, change to mm=120 with a hidden tempo indication, then reset to 100 after the quintuplet group.)

This is made even more elegant in the new version 1.70; we can now make it look right as well as sound correct. Adding the ---5--- indication is easy; simply insert it as text. The new alignment options make this a lot easier than it has been in the past. But there's a couple problems: first, your time signature will be messed up for the bar containing the "extra" notes. Solution: insert a new time signature (to continue the same example, if you're in 4/4 you'll have an extra 1/8 note. So for that bar, change the time sig. to 9/8, and make it invisible. Change back to 4/4 in the next bar. Second problem: you might have to correct your other staves for the "extra" note. Solution: insert an extra (hidden) rest. If you need the previous note to continue sounding through the rest, use a hidden pedal mark. The ability to hide virtually anything is a powerful new facility that has only begun to be explored.

Reply #3
These are good suggestions, but I can't see how I can use them with a piano score that has 5 against 2, or 5 against 4.

Sadly, I had a piece composed with quintuplets that I had to change to duplets + triplets when I scored it in NWC.

- seb

Reply #4
In the sample file (referenced above) I have an example of 5 against 2, in Bar 3.