Skip to main content
Topic: J B L Pro Audio & Noteworthy (Read 2472 times) previous topic - next topic

J B L Pro Audio & Noteworthy

I am considering buying a Compaq Presario 1247 with the above audio system.
Will I be able to play noteworthy files through that system, and if so what are they liable to sound like from this notebook.
I would need an answer to this very soon please.

Re: J B L Pro Audio & Noteworthy

Reply #1
Could you please give more informations about the system you have the project to buy?
Is the JBL Pro Audio some kind of loudspeaker system or does it include some synthesizer?
If it is only a sound system, you have to look at the sound card or sound chip included in your Compaq portable.
If it's described as a wavetable sound card, then the sound produced should be as good as the one you could obtain on a workstation PC fitted with say a 128 PCI sound blaster.
If it's a minimum sound chip (16 bits Sound blaster), you will hear your music but not the instruments sounds you may expect.

Reply #2
Bruno
The problem is that I don't know anything about JBL Pro Audio. All I know is that it is the system in the Compaq, and the salesperson told me it was compatible with Soundblaster 64 (which I have in my desktop). I was not too sure he knew what he was talking about and hence the question.
If I were to present the shop with a midi music file and ask them to play it for me, do you think that would solve my problem?
Thanks however for your previous reply.

Reply #3
I use a Compaq laptop (1265) with a JBL ProAudio. It "plays" Noteworthy and midi materials. Must say, the wavetables (or whatever it uses, perhaps FM synthesis)stink, so the sound is not very good. Depending upon which instruments you prefer, you may have better results.

I was able to get "somewhat" more acceptable sounds by installing DirectX7 and using the Microsoft Soundfonts that come as part of that. You may want to visit the Newsgroup for a discussion in that area and how to access the soundfonts through dmidi or by installing the DmusicProducer. (P.S. The sound is "better" but still not real good).

P.S. If this a laptop, and you want to be able to input midi from a keyboard or guitar, it may be a bit of a challenge to find the correct peripherals. I am certain whether your unit has USB ports. It is my understanding, however, that there some USB peripherals for midi input.

Hope that helps.