Skip to main content
Topic: Importing Triplets (Read 3941 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing Triplets

How can I make it automatically make triplets when I import a MIDI file? It sounds awful playing with dotted-note approximations.

There's too many of them for me to do it all manually.

Simon.

Re: Importing Triplets

Reply #1
You can really speed up the conversion process using a macro.
Once the macro records your keystrokes it only requires one key combo to convert each 1/8 and 1/16 note group to triplets.
Try the Scriptorium for the source of the old Win3.1 macro recorder or download the Old Dos file from Microsoft.

Reply #2
Barry, can you clarify this further? I am not sure what sort of macros you are talking about. Besides, I find that NWC does not always create the same note sequences for every triplet. This is a real problem particularly for importing jazz MIDI files, and I think NWC needs to address it in the software. Perhaps there can be a selection in the Import Wizard to "recognize triplets"?

Note to self: Let NWC know about this.

Reply #3
Rick,

You may be right about the grouping of imported triplets.
I find that if you import at the same resolution the grouping is usually the same.
At a 1/16th resolution the group is usually 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/16 but it depends on how the original midi file was written.

Even so you can write different macros for each case if you wish.

Did you check the scriptorium for the source of the macro recorder?
If not go to the Microsoft site and download the 'Old Dos' zip file.
If you have a copy of Win3.x - it should also have a copy of the macro recorder.

Get back to me after you get a copy.

Reply #4
While at the Scripto, download Andrew's ntworthy.rec collection of Recorder macros. It includes several different triplettising macros, plus a bunch of other neat tools.

Reply #5
someone has got to tackle this huge software limitation, and add a triplets import feature to noteworthy. have they even thought of it?

Reply #6
Agreed to the first point, and yes to the second. There was quite a lengthy discussion on this topic on the forum some time ago. It should be noted that even much more expensive (and complex) sequencer programs have difficulty importing triplets (let alone n-tuplets), so it appears that the coding for this sort of thing is quite tricky. That being said, maybe it'll happen in a future release if we all wish for it -- a great many such wishes have already been "granted."

Reply #7
Importing MIDI triplets: If you are adding a part to a .nwc composition. Try changing the time signature from, say, 4/4 to 12/8. Specify dotted quarter to the old quarter note tempo. Triplets will come out as eighth notes.

Reply #8
12/8 time is admittedly pretty useless. when music is in triplets it's 99.99% of the time written in 4/4. (unless it's a waltz). When a file is imported, all the note's timings are read and notated in their proper time, for example as eigths and stuff. it wouldn't take much at all to add a few more lines of code to notate triplet notes when nwc comes across them.