Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI playback (Read 3430 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI playback

Hi,
After several years of working perfectly on my old 486, Noteworthy has developed a playback problem on my new PC (top end, tons of RAM). Basically, on playback, the sound is interrupted by 1 second gaps. Also the note highlights are about a beat ahead of the note actually being sounded. Has anyone any idea as to what the problem is please?
Stewart

Re: MIDI playback

Reply #1
Can you say what type of sound card you are using and also what, if any, pseudo drivers such as wingroove ?

Rich.

Reply #2
If you have a lot of other programs running at the same time, they could be competing with the 'player' for the CPU, and the delays might be the computer trying to catch up with all the tasks it is doing.

Reply #3
As Richard wrote above - if your new system includes a software synthesizer - like Wingroove - the synth has to compile the sound output from wavetable data stored in memory and this takes some time.
NWC displays the highlight when the note is triggered - the compile time produces a lag in the sound production.

If this is not the case then perhaps Ken is right - but I dont see a top end system dragging it's feet with midi output - unless you are multi-tasking a satellite launch in background!

Reply #4
I found a similar situation when I changed to a new sound driver. I don't think there's anything you can do about it as long as you stay with that same sound diver(at least in my case). I think the error is in the sound driver itself, being a programming error or such.

Reply #5
The trouble come, as Richard, Barry & Russ said, from your software to produce sound.
If you're using a sound card directly (which does not affect CPU), no trouble; if you're using "advanced" software which computes the wave signal instead of letting the sound card doing it (with convenient electronic chips) you'll get a delay, whatever CPU power you got.
If you're using a sound card that has tis own chipset and almost no software, no trouble.
I've tried this with my old SB16 card, and the delay disappeared.

So change your driver, or --as you may xant to keep it for other usages-- install the most direct MIDI driver you've got (maybe simply µ$'s one) and set NWC to use this midi playback device (in Tools/Options.../Midi)

HTH, Marsu

Reply #6
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I'll go and fiddle with my machine and let everyone know what happens.
Stewart