NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Flurmy on 2018-01-27 08:42 pm

Title: Acciaccatura
Post by: Flurmy on 2018-01-27 08:42 pm
When the tempo is slow the acciaccatura made with a grace note is too long. Kind of an appoggiatura.
In some extreme cases, even 1/64 in a hidden staff is too slow.

I was thinking: the acciaccatura can be seen as a note with a somehow standard duration (time) independent from tempo.
My first idea was to suggest it to Mike for his plugin, but the problem is, I suppose, that the plugin doesn't know how many µs per tick are in use at that moment, so it can't compute the acciaccatura duration..
Am I right?
Title: Re: Acciaccatura
Post by: Rick G. on 2018-01-27 09:05 pm
When the tempo is slow the acciaccatura made with a grace note is too long.
You might try something like this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|MPC|Controller:tempo|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,10|Pos:12
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|MPC|Controller:tempo|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Thirtysecond|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,120|Pt2:1,10|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Post by: Flurmy on 2018-01-27 09:57 pm
Ehm... the tempo is an attribute of all the staves at once! Even those without the acciaccatura... :D
Post by: Mike Shawaluk on 2018-01-27 09:59 pm
When the tempo is slow the acciaccatura made with a grace note is too long. Kind of an appoggiatura.

I was thinking: the acciaccatura can be seen as a note with a somehow standard duration (time) independent from tempo.
My first idea was to suggest it to Mike for his plugin, but the problem is, I suppose, that the plugin doesn't know how many µs per tick are in use at that moment, so it can't compute the acciaccatura duration..
Am I right?

I'm not sure if I am following. You know that the duration for Acciaccatura is selectable, right? You can set it as high as 128 (I could extend that if necessary).  Perhaps you could post an example?
Post by: Flurmy on 2018-01-27 10:06 pm
You know that the duration for Acciaccatura is selectable, right? You can set it as high as 128 (I could extend that if necessary).
Pardon? What should I know?
As long as I know, the acciaccatura plugin is purely visual (and only for 1/8 notes).

Edit: But I know so little... Sorry, Mike, I completely forgot the "rate" parameter!
Post by: Flurmy on 2018-01-27 10:16 pm
Ops! There is a buglet in the acciaccatura plugin:
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:-3|Class:StaffSig|Rate:16
|Clef|Type:Bass
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:2|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
|Bar
Post by: Rick G. on 2018-01-27 11:48 pm
Ops! There is a buglet in the acciaccatura plugin:
I you move the plugin to after the clef, playback is OK.
It is still a bug. It doesn't identify the run-time Clef.
Post by: Mike Shawaluk on 2018-01-28 12:09 am
I you move the plugin to after the clef, playback is OK.
It is still a bug. It doesn't identify the run-time Clef.
Would you consider this an Acciaccatura.ms plug-in bug, or a plug-in system bug? In general, the nwcplay functions take care of current clef, accidentals, etc. for me.
Post by: Rick G. on 2018-01-28 01:24 am
Would you consider this an Acciaccatura.ms plug-in bug, or a plug-in system bug?
No opinion. I'd need to study the API and I've taken a break from that.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2018-01-29 08:41 pm
I think it is a Acciaccatura.ms  bug in that it only reads the clef once at the start.
When it is positioned before the clef, Treble clef is assumed.
When it is positioned after the clef, that is the default which doesn't change even  if the clef does.

Consider this :

|Clef|Type:Bass
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:-3|Class:StaffSig|Rate:16
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:3|Opts:Muted
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Tenor

However, if the function should be that the clef at any point in time is implicit to the plug-in, then it must be a system bug.
(perhaps not a lot of help)
Post by: Mike Shawaluk on 2018-01-29 09:10 pm
As I recall from previous discussion, there are limitations with using a StaffSig object to do playback across multiple notes. This may be one of them. It's possible that the object only "knows" the playback clef at the location of the object in the score.  The obvious workaround is to put another Acciaccatura.ms object after any clef change. Including, I suppose, after an instrument change which affects the staff transposition. I am betting there could be similar issues with this object in conjunction with 8va sections, which rely on instrument changes.
Post by: Flurmy on 2018-01-29 09:39 pm
That's why, even if people like Mike are doing miracles, I'd rather would have preferred a "native" solution for so many things.