NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => Tips & Tricks => Instrument Trees => Topic started by: jdorocak on 2012-12-20 05:14 am

Title: Using Instrument Trees
Post by: jdorocak on 2012-12-20 05:14 am
Dear NWC Forum,

I am using NWC 2.5.5.

Recently i was trying to get a staff to sound like a harp. Because of my dyslexia, i missed seeing the predefined instrument Orchestral Harp in the String section of the Default Instrument Tree. So i clicked Change List and looked in the Classic Instrument Tree.

I didn't see harp in the General MIDI section. Neither did i see it in the Roland GS section. Finally I found Harp-1 in the MT-32 section and chose it as the Instrument for the staff. However, when i played the notes on the staff they sounded like a trumpet.

Here's my question. What else do i have to do to get the staff to sound like a harp using the Harp-1 voice in the MT-32 section of the Classic Instrument Tree? [I have already discovered and used the Orchestral Harp in the String section of the Default Instrument Tree, but I want to know what the steps are to enable the MT-32 voices and other voices in other Instrument Trees.]

Thanks in advance.

Love and peace,

Joe
Title: Re: Using Instrument Trees
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2012-12-20 05:56 am
General MIDI / Strings / Orchestral Harp

Or patch 46 (0 based)
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2012-12-20 06:26 am
Here's my question. What else do i have to do to get the staff to sound like a harp using the Harp-1 voice in the MT-32 section of the Classic Instrument Tree? [I have already discovered and used the Orchestral Harp in the String section of the Default Instrument Tree, but I want to know what the steps are to enable the MT-32 voices and other voices in other Instrument Trees.]
Whups - just read your question properly...

First thing, you need to have a synth that supports the MT-32 voices (or any other specific voices you may want) - without that you're wasting your time...

If you have the synth, then the iTree is probably already setup to use it.  BUT there are specifices necessary that will comprise:

Hope this helps some...

Merry Christmas 'n stuff.
Post by: Rick G. on 2012-12-20 06:37 am
Instrument Trees are just templates to make it easier to fill out Instrument Change Properties (http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/TAB_INSTRUMENTPROP.htm) and the Instrument Change Command (http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/MNU_ADDPATCH.htm). They are not saved with the song you produce and do not enable anything.
Post by: Flurmy on 2012-12-20 07:28 am
Said in ther words: you should not choose arbitrarily the itree you prefer.
You must use the itree that matches your synth.
If your synth is General MIDI compliant, as many today are, you must use General MIDI.
If it's MT-32 compatible you must use MT-32.
If the mapping of your synth is not present in the default itree you can make that one yourself (and, possibly, publish it here).

But that's only a help for you as a composer so you can choose your synth instruments by name.
As Rick said, changing itree doesn't change anything in the playing.
In special mode, do not expect that other casual users get the sound you choose unless you stick to general MIDI.

HTH
Post by: jdorocak on 2012-12-22 05:16 pm
Thanks to everyone who replied. I now have a much clearer understanding.

Happy Holidays to all.

Love and peace,

Joe