NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: jonashogstrom on 2011-06-09 08:26 pm

Title: Invalid midi files when notes are muted
Post by: jonashogstrom on 2011-06-09 08:26 pm
Hi

In the attached (small) nwc-file (edited with 2.1) the last three notes are tied, but the last two (of these) are muted. This sounds correct when played in nwc, but when it is exported to midi, my midi-app complains:

> NOTEON without NOTEOFF: Track=2 EvNr=14 When=768 (Bar=2) Note=74 (D6)

The attached file is just a stripped down version of a larger file ofcourse, but will be enough to show the problem. I'm using Synthfont (http://www.synthfont.com/) to process the midi-files. I was nota flawed midi-file is attached as well.

best regards, Jonas Högström

Title: Re: Invalid midi files when notes are muted
Post by: Rick G. on 2011-06-09 09:31 pm
Methinks your app complains too much :)
IMO, NWC2 is producing the MIDI output that you are asking it to produce.

All 3 of my Windows bundled apps play the midi without complaint. They also report the length as 2 seconds, as does NWC Info. NWC2 will import it, but it truncates the length of the final note.

Workaround for finicky apps would be to unmute the final note, possibly adding Performance Style (http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/MNU_ADDPERFORMSTYLE.htm): Legato or Tenuto before it.
This will make the length 8 seconds

Or add this to the end:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:2^|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:2|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
This will cause NWC2 to produce a note off, and make the length 8.003 seconds.
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2011-06-10 07:22 am
But one should be aware that it is NWC (or the other apps) stopping playing that sends an effective note-off. If you add empty bars onto the end of the clip the note will keep playing indefinitely.

Terminating a tied sequence with a muted note is a useful trick to keep the note ringing but if that is what is wanted, then you have to give it space to do it. Another note at the same pitch will then stop it.
Post by: Milton on 2011-06-14 05:21 pm
One easy fix to stop hung notes is to place an invisible Pedal Up as the very last entry in each staff.  I may be mistaken but I think that will solve your problem and may be a good general practice to soothe fussy synths.
Post by: Rick G. on 2011-06-14 10:54 pm
One easy fix to stop hung notes is to place an invisible Pedal Up as the very last entry in each staff.
That doesn't "fix" Anthem-mute.nwc. All that a pedal up does is cancel a pedal down. A pedal up at the end of a song that ends with rests will cause most midi playback apps to run longer, but that is true of any midi event.