NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: ac080938 on 2009-09-09 04:15 pm

Title: midi file import
Post by: ac080938 on 2009-09-09 04:15 pm
Hei, I have a slight problem which I have been unabled to solve.  I have been given a midi file of a choir setup (SATB) together with the piano score etc. for our choir.  This is over 600 bars long and there are 8 channels (or staves in NWC).  The problem encountered is that every bar in every stave has it's own key and time signature - is this normal with midi input?  and how can I remove all of these which are unneccesary as I only want time or key signatures in bars when there are changes.  I know that I can remove these individually for each, but what a job!  I thought that maybe there would be some form of editing function when the midi file was imported, and maybe there is, but I can't find it.  Can anyone help please as I only have a short while in which to sort this out.  The composer/arranger died a couple of weeks ago so unfortunately I can't ask him for help!
Title: Re: midi file import
Post by: Warren Porter on 2009-09-09 04:47 pm
That was done to keep you from using a program like NWC.

If you want to export it into a nwctxt file you can take out the extra stuff with a text editor.  To do it in NWC for each staff:

Hope this helps.
Post by: MusicJohn on 2009-09-09 05:50 pm
Noteworthy Composer is quite clever.

You might find that if, having imported the Midi File and found all those extra time signatures, you save it out (or export it) as a Midi File, Noteworthy strips out all the superfluous ones, so that when you then re-import it the File is OK.

MusicJohn, 9/Sep/09

Post by: Rick G. on 2009-09-09 06:11 pm
Noteworthy Composer is quite clever.
Indeed it is. If you export this mess:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#
|TimeSig|Signature:1/4
|PerformanceStyle|Style:Tenuto|Pos:9
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Key|Signature:F#
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Bar
|Key|Signature:Bb
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|Key|Signature:C
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:6/8
|Key|Signature:C
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:6/8
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:AllaBreve
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
It reimports nicely.

ac080938:
If you use this method, insert a Performance Style (http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/MNU_ADDPERFORMSTYLE.htm) of Tenuto at the beginning of each staff.
See Using MIDI files that lack Key and/or Time Signatures (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6465.0) more details.
Post by: ac080938 on 2009-09-09 08:41 pm
Hei again fromt the poser of the original question, The solution to the midi file import problem was as suggested.  I created an NWC file which I then exported as a midi file.  On importing this midi file again I "got rid of" everything that was superfluous, ie all of the key and time signatures which were not necessary.  Thanks for the help.
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-09-09 09:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Some of the questions posed here require many minutes to posit a cogent answer, even for posters that have used Noteworthy for a decade or more. It helps to know when it has been worth the time and trouble. Kudos to MusicJohn. I was in the middle of a very labored response that was overtaken by his brilliance.
Post by: MusicJohn on 2009-09-09 10:19 pm
And thanks to both of you.

MusicJohn, 9/Sep/09