NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: William Ashworth on 2007-10-10 06:27 pm

Title: small alignment bug
Post by: William Ashworth on 2007-10-10 06:27 pm
This is a small thing, but it would be nice if the dynamics and the performance style markings would line up vertically. Currently there is a slight misalignment that is noticable when they are next to each other. I believe the font size of the dynamics is also slightly smaller than the one used for the performance styles. Here's an example (you may have to view it in print preview and magnify it highly to see what I'm talking about):

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Dynamic|Style:mp|Pos:-10|Justify:Right
|PerformanceStyle|Style:Marcato|Pos:-10
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

This is a holdover from 1.x, where it also bothered me. Not a high priority item, perhaps, but still....
Title: Re: small alignment bug
Post by: kahman on 2007-10-10 08:21 pm
It seems that different fonts are being used, but I don't see how that could happen...
After trying it in SwingDings, and using SwingDings instead of SwingText, it appears that mp is in the system font, while marc. is in a text font.  At least that's what I think, I'll let Lawrie Pardy comment.
Post by: bidderxyzzy on 2007-10-10 09:43 pm
There is no need to speculate.  Dynamics are single characters in the system font, because they are traditionally printed with a sort of kerning not available to separate letters in most fonts.  The Marcato is in Staff Italic.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2007-10-10 09:43 pm
G'day all,
kahman, you are quite corect.  Dynamic markings are in the system font (NWC2STDA etc.) whilst performance style markings are in "Staff Italic".  This is also true for NWC1.75.

As a result, dynamics change size when you change the staff metrics while performance style markings change when you change the "Staff Italic" parameters.

It should be possible to select a combination that would be very close vertically, but then the horizontal space will probably be different anyway...

Take the "m" in mp and marc.  They are different horizontally in the standard fonts, as well as in my suites.

<edit> As far as my suites go, had I thought about it I could probably have compensated a bit but at the end of the day I cannot control what relative sizes the notator will select for their work...

If I ever get around to the next version, "JazzDings" (?), I'll look into trying to match things up a little better - don't hold your breath though... :)
Post by: Rick G. on 2007-10-10 10:51 pm
Dynamic markings are in the system font (NWC2STDA etc.) whilst performance style markings are in "Staff Italic".  This is also true for NWC1.75.
Maybe you should look at NWCV15.ttf. NWC v1.75 is being quite creative if it is getting dynamics from there.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2007-10-10 10:58 pm
Oops, thanks Rick.

It's that dreaded CRAFT disease kickin' in again...  :)

I stand corrected everyone - this does not hold true for NWC1.75.
Post by: Rick G. on 2007-10-11 04:33 am
If you can spot Courier vs. Arial vs. Comic Sans Serif, and know what various NWC2 objects look like, this short opus done in the new nwctxt format, may fill the bill:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|SongInfo|Author:""|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:""|Copyright2:""
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|StaffLabels:First System
|PgSetup|BarNumbers:Boxed|StartingBar:-2
|Font|Style:Staff Italic|Typeface:"Arial"|Bold:Y|Italic:Y
|Font|Style:Staff Bold|Typeface:"Courier New"|Bold:Y
|Font|Style:Staff Lyric|Typeface:"Comic Sans MS"|Size:9
|AddStaff|Label:"Staff Bold"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryTop:20
|StaffProperties|StereoPan:-1
|Lyric1|Text:"This is Lyric Text"
|Clef|Type:Alto
|PerformanceStyle|Style:Legato|Pos:8
|Tempo|Tempo:120|Text:"Staff Bold"|Pos:14
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Instrument|Patch:73|Visibility:Always
|Bar
|MPC|Controller:vol|Pt1:0,64|Visibility:Always
|Flow|Style:DalSegno|Pos:14|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2,D
|Dynamic|Style:mp
|Text|Text:"Staff Italic Text"|Font:StaffItalic|Justify:Right
|Text|Text:"Staff Bold Text"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:12|Justify:Right
|Bar|Style:SectionClose
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
NWC2 doesn't (yet) support nwctxt in Edit->Paste as New File so you may want to open the attachment instead.

I had to edit and import the file a few dozen times. Having to change the file type from MIDI in the Open dialog every time got old fast. So I whistled up Explorer and tried Drag & Drop. Better, but when I tried repeated drops, they were all ignored without warning. It seems that the existing song must be closed before the edited one can take its place. Can't have everything at once I suppose, but the experience has dampened my enthusiasm.