NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: kahman on 2007-02-10 04:13 pm

Title: Display Bug During Playback
Post by: kahman on 2007-02-10 04:13 pm
I have two staves which are layered.  In one, everything is set to Visibility:Never.  In the other, which is on top of it when not layered, it has the exact same notes in one measure.  When I select a staff that is neither of those, it displays the notes in common as hidden.  When I play back, after each note that is on both staves, it shows it as if it's not hidden.  When playback ends, they show as hidden again.
Title: Re: Display Bug During Playback
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2007-02-10 09:55 pm
G'day kahman,
I don't seem to have that problem...  Does it matter which staff is "active".  Perhaps you can post a snippet of the problem chart.
Post by: kahman on 2007-02-10 10:20 pm
It does matter which staff is active.  This shows when either the staff with hidden notes is active, or a third staff is active.

Attached is a screenshot, and an excerpt.  Try playing it back, and watch the noteheads magically change color.  The second staff MUST be active.
Post by: Archive on 2007-02-10 10:59 pm
I often encounter this bug.

As long as it's not interfering with actual print results or MIDI output, why bother, though?

I suppose y'all respond with something about perfection. 
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2007-02-11 02:20 am
G'day kahman,
was in a little bit of a hurry this morning - running late for music practice at church - and I didn't read your message quite as clearly as I thought I had.

I am familiar with this phenomenon - it doesn't affect printout at all, but is an artifact of the playback engine...

IIRC NWC plays each staff in turn from top to bottom for each "tick" so the lowest staff in the display order is what is last updated. 

So, if you had three staves each with part of a chord spread across them, say a C chord whith G on the top, E in the middle and C on the bottom, then the "note on" order would be:G, E and C with the corresponding "note off" order the same.  This is regardless whether the staves are layered or not.  It affects the MIDI playback the same way.

Something similar occurs with display for those staves not selected...

I'm not sure whether I think it's actually worth chasing down or not...