NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Archive on 2006-11-24 07:29 pm

Title: Ecossaises (Rondo)
Post by: Archive on 2006-11-24 07:29 pm
I was looking through the NWC Scriptorium the other day, and I saw someone named Evan Caplinger had composed this piece:
NWC (http://nwc-scriptorium.org/class2.html)
It was better than most of the "Classical" pieces that were submitted to the Scriptorium.
The crazy part was that, apparently, the person was born 1997,
which would make him 9 years old, give or take 1 year, today!
Download the file and give your opinion, please.
Title: Re: Ecossaises (Rondo)
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2006-11-24 07:38 pm
Just in case, I just went and checked the email to make sure that the DOB did say 1997.

It did !

Post by: Milton on 2006-11-25 12:37 am
Quite a charming piece for any age, especially for a 9-year old!  I especially like the minor shading in the 6/4 section toward the end of Eco. 1 and the extra beats of rest before the last repetition of Eco. 1.  The little devil leaves us hanging for a moment or two, doesn't he!  I hope he will keep composing and submit more of his pieces to the Scriptorium.
Post by: David Palmquist on 2006-11-25 01:38 am
I suspect that if the birth date is not a typo, the child has had some help, if only in the notation.  In support I ask, is this the English of a nine-year-old?:

Written Dec. 28, 2005  Late afternoon, like 3:00 or 4:00 pm - 7:05 pm
Rather than ending on the theme - it ends on the last eccosaise, which, by the way, is the only eccosaise that ends in 2/4 time, though the other 4/4 endings are not posted in clear print.  COMPELETELY finished at 1:04/5 pm, tommorow (or 8:41 pm today, for music)  Dynamics compeleted at 1:43, tommorow. (Tommorow meaning day after composistion was composed.)

Is it likely a nine-year-oid knows enough to use hidden time sigatures and dynamic markings or to use text to slash across the stem of a grace note as in measure 82?

Post by: Archive on 2006-11-25 07:24 pm
I think that that's child discrimination! Are you implying that children don't know how to do these things?

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but I hate it when people propose that children can't do something an adult can solely on age.

I do think that if the child knows how to conpose such a thing, he wouldn't need to dictate his notes to an adult, though.
Post by: David Palmquist on 2006-11-25 08:13 pm
I think that that's child discrimination!
Guilty. 

Are you implying that children don't know how to do these things?

No.  Certainly there are child prodigies.  I have no opinion regarding the authorship of the music itself.  I do have doubts about its notation in NWC.  There were notation features used that take a long time to learn.  The language in the information window does not, to me, look like that language of a nine year old, no matter how precocious.  I think it is more likely that a proud parent, and rightly proud, may have notated the child's work in NWC. 

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but I hate it when people propose that children can't do something an adult can solely on age.

No need to apologize.  You make a good point, but, having been a kid once, having raised my own children, and having watched many nieces and nephews grow up, I don't think it is probable that a 9 year old would have done all the work of putting that particular score together.  I've given my reasons.

There's a difference between saying something is impossible and suggesting one should accept everything one reads on the web without question.  A lot of people, possibly even the occasional participant in this forum, use false identities, and a lot of simple typograhical errors don't get caught before messages are transmitted.
Post by: Archive on 2006-11-26 02:00 am
Thanks for being polite to my rudeness. I don't know what came over me. Anyways, I found another young one.  Daniel Abolafia. About 14 years today. Hmmmm, not as good as the Eccosaise, but still pretty good.
Here (http://nwc-scriptorium.org/class1.html#Abolafia)
Post by: David Palmquist on 2006-11-26 05:57 am
I didn't consider your message to be rude, Archive.  You were expressing your views in a civilized manner.  It was a pleasure to respond to each of your points, which were valid.