NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Eric on 2002-06-07 01:34 am

Title: accented syllable or letter
Post by: Eric on 2002-06-07 01:34 am
On the lyrics, if I want to accent a letter of a word, how can I insert a special character?  Like  Bles-sed, acxcent on the second e.
Title: Re: accented syllable or letter
Post by: Ertuğrul İnanç on 2002-06-07 03:28 am

Layering is the magic word again.

Make a(n invisible) copy of the staf w. lyrics and enter only the accents as lyrics, filling the rest with underscores (_).

I've made a demonstration file but cannot upload it anywhere at the moment. Will it be of help if I submit it to the newsgroup (http://news://news2.ezusa.net/ntworthy.nwc) or would you wish me to email it to you?

Hth,
Ertugrul

Post by: Ertuğrul İnanç on 2002-06-07 03:37 am

OK, I've submitted my reply as a https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2427 which includes a demonstrative file attachment (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertips/files/112.nwc).

If it's duplicate, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Hth,
Ertugrul

Post by: Hal Apeño on 2002-06-07 01:08 pm
The way I read this, Eric wants to know how to make Bles-sed look like Bles-séd.  Instead of pressing the e key, hold down the Alt key and type 0233, then release.  This gives an é instead of an e.
There are many, many other characters available as well.  Just find your character map on your computer, and you'll be amazed!
Post by: Eric on 2002-06-07 03:14 pm
Thanks!
Post by: marsu on 2002-06-07 04:36 pm
So he could write his name as Éric instead of Eric ?

Please take note that some of the characters (where their number is greater then 0127) will NOT look the same depending on your localization.
Ertugrul and I, for example, may not see the "trump" character the same way.
Not to talk about non-windows environments...

Considering accented vowels, normally you should be able to use quote('), backquote(`), circumflex(^) and "umlaut"(¨) to add it to a,e,i,o,u,y (or n for tilde(~)). At least some european configs do. Simply press the "modifier" first, then the letter.
Here some chars done that way:
':áéíóúý
`:àèìòù
^:âêîôû
¨:äëïöüÿ
~:ãõñ

HTH!
Post by: Joy Byford on 2002-06-07 10:17 pm
I'm intrigued! What is the 'trump' character?
Post by: marsu on 2002-06-10 08:23 am
I think the real (correct) name is the "thorn" character.
In the occidental subset of extended ascii set of characters, it's the number 222 (Alt+0222 under windows), or +32 in upper case. (254)
You can find reference for this in HTML at this page (http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/iso192-223.html). Name is what you put betwee the "ampersand" (&) and the semi-colon (;) to make HTML draw it.
So for instance "é" should be written é but it seems µicro$oft doesn't know it.
Which leads to troubles, go and read the final paragraph of the charset reference (http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/).
Not to mention the Euro symbol, which replaced the 128th character!
Post by: Cyril N. Alberga on 2002-06-10 02:19 pm
Here is another site (which I think has been posted here or in the newsgroup before) which shows the keyboard layout in effect if you choose "English (United States) United States-International" on the Language tab of the Keyboard item in the Control Panel (at least in Win98SE).  I've made this my default keyboard (which gets other people confused when they try to type the single or double quotation mark characters).  I'm sure there are equivalents for AZERTY keyboards (and what ever other variations there are -- I think German keyboards have still another arrangement) but I will leave it to Marsu to locate and point them out.

By the way, Thorn is not only an obsolete character from Old English (with the top opened up it is the source of "Ye Olde etc.), but is still current in Icelandic.

Cyril
Post by: Cyril N. Alberga on 2002-06-10 02:21 pm
Of course, I forgot the link:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwcforum/addreply.php

Cyril
Post by: Ertuğrul İnanç on 2002-06-11 01:46 am
> http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwcforum/addreply.php

Are you sure this is the link?

:-þ

Post by: Cyril N. Alberga on 2002-06-11 03:00 am
No.

http://www.starr.net/is/type/kbh.html#intl
Post by: Ertuğrul İnanç on 2002-06-11 03:44 am

Useful site. Bookmarked it. Thanks for pointing out.

Post by: Graham Howe on 2002-06-11 06:51 am
Further to Hal Alpeño's reply on this topic, "Blessèd" is usually spelt with a grave accent (alt+0232=è) rather than the acute (é); incidentally, a far quicker way to produce the acute accent over any of the 5 basic vowels is simply to hold down alt+control, then type the vowel:á,é,í,ó,ú.
Post by: Olivier Miakinen on 2002-06-11 10:20 am
In reply 7, marsu wrote :
for instance "é" should be written é

This is not mandatory, since each HTML page has its own charset, which may be defined by, e.g.:
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Moreover, when no charset is defined, it is supposed to be ISO-8859-1.
Post by: Robert A. on 2002-06-11 04:27 pm
For confused followers of this topic: Two different methods have been discussed.

One of them refers to a method of inserting accented vowels (and some other characters) in the NWC lyrics editor. For that, you can choose the character from a character map utility (there are other ways, too).

The other method refers to placing accented vowels in a web page (HTML).
Post by: Hal Alpeño on 2002-06-11 05:59 pm
Thanks, Graham Howe, for confirming the è instead of é.  I thought that's what it was, but could find only one piece fo music at the time that had such an example in it.  And when I saw it, I thought "I thought that was the other one, but here it is in print." so that's what I put.
Moral: Don't believe everything you see in print.

One other thing - the "hold down alt+control...for the 5 basic vowels" method is not working for me.  aaaaeeeeeiiiiooooouuuu See? Not working.
What am I doing wrong?
Post by: Robert A. on 2002-06-11 10:23 pm
Hal: Whether or not key combinations (such as ALT+CTRL+whatever) work, may be a function of the system, or of the application. To put that another way, it is not necessarily the case that you are doing anything wrong. it may be that your system or application does not support that method, or that the method has a different meaning. Some of these things can be user-defined.

For example, using MS Word, if I press CTRL and the single quote simultaneously, let go, then press e, I will get the accented e character. But this does not work in Notepad. If I want e grave, I would first press CTRL and the grave (same key as tilde) simultaneously, let go, then press e.

The least-brainer way to place special characters into NWC, either lyrics or text, is by using the character map that comes with your system (or a better replacement). You click on the desired character(s), they are copied to the clipboard, and you paste them in. This works for non-text symbolic fonts, too, as long as you have defined them within NWC. If the character is non-standard, it may not appear correct in the editor window, but it will be correct in the document.

Yes, there are other ways, but least-brainer works for me.
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 2002-06-12 12:37 am
Yes, there are other ways, but least-brainer works for me.

One suggestion I've found helpful: Go ahead and use the least-brainer, but instead of double-clicking on the letter, then clicking on "copy", then going to your application and pasting, just click once on the desired letter, and note what ALT keycode is shown for that letter. Then go to your application and press ALT while typing the code on the numeric keypad.

This is a "next-to-least brainer" that will eventually teach you the codes of the ones you use the most. After awhile, "Look ma, no charmap!"

Another tip: if you're doing a lot of this, put a link to charmap.exe on your desktop, and assign a hot key (I use CNTL-ALT-M). Then, wherever you are, you can have charmap available almost instantly when you need it.
Post by: Hal Alpeño on 2002-06-12 02:48 am
I actually have memorized the codes for the letters I need most, and, as they are arranged logically, I can figure out most of the others.  There are a few, though, that aren’t arranged logically, so I do get some confused.  The two that throw me the most are 191 (¿) & 161 (¡) because the numbers are too similar (a 180° rotation of each other, just as their characters are rotations of ? & !Spooky, huh?).
Post by: Robert A. on 2002-06-12 04:52 pm
I should mention that besides being least-brainer, I use NWC on a mini laptop that has no numeric keyboard. So the ALT codes don't work for me. Besides, clicking on the character map is fun (among the least-brainer crowd).
Post by: Hal Alpeño on 2002-06-13 01:30 am
Clicking on the character map is not fun.  I can’t stand using the mouse. (It is far from being ergonomic.  Yes the keyboard can cause problems, but a little discipline will prevent them.)  And, while using the character map may indeed be the “least-brainer” method, a little daily mental exercise keeps Alzheimer’s away.
I do understand your problem with the lack of numeric keypad, though.  Oh, well...
Post by: Eric on 2002-06-20 07:53 pm
Thanks everyone!
Post by: Marsu on 2002-07-04 10:34 am
Robert, doesn't your mini-laptop has a numpad accessible via a special key, maybe "Fn", as on a PowerBook?? (Yes I know, PowerBook is not under Windows...)
In which case Alt+Fn+#### should give you the characters wanted.
Post by: Robert A. on 2002-07-04 02:42 pm
Marsu: Yes, I CAN access a numeric keypad if I wish. But instead, I keep a character map in my taskbar. It's faster, and does not require me to remember anything (I would use accented characters more rarely than a francophone).
Post by: John on 2003-07-23 10:23 pm
Hey...
Is there any J character map letters?
If so will you please copy and paste it to me?
Thank You!
Post by: steven on 2005-12-06 12:21 am
is there any way that i can get what Fn+Alt+### is equal to like a chart or somtiin
Post by: Rick G. on 2005-12-06 01:22 am
Yeah, it is called CharMap, a bundled Windows utility.