NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Dana Holt on 2001-11-17 05:00 am

Title: New to Noteworthy-Sop., Alto line Writing
Post by: Dana Holt on 2001-11-17 05:00 am
I'm trying to write accompaniment to a song, but I can't figure out how to use Noteworthy to write two differing parts on the treble clef (okay, can anyone guess that I'm new to this?) I've tried putting one line with stems up to designate one line and stems down to designate another part, to be played at the same time, but Noteworthy doesn't want to do it that way. It wants to give full value to each note one right after the other, and it's making the measures play too long. Does that make any sense? And can someone help me figure this out? Thanks
Title: Re: New to Noteworthy-Sop., Alto line Writing
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 2001-11-17 05:00 am
Hi Dana.

Set stem up, enter the sop note. Set stem down, enter the alto note by pressing CNTL at the same time as ENTER.

This works great for many situations, especially when the time values are the same. As you get more experienced you'll one day discover the wonderful world of staff layering, which allows you to do multiple voicings with (almost) arbitrary time durations on a single staff.

Welcome, and enjoy NWC!

Fred
(not affiliated with NW Software, but a major NWC fan)
Post by: Dana Holt on 2001-11-17 05:00 am
I've done that. :-) But it's when I have the sop. line holding out a half note and at the same time I have the alto with two quarter notes. Noteworthy won't let me do it that way.
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2001-11-18 05:00 am
Although you cannot always maintain sop and alto lines without using layering, you certainly can do a half note on one voice and two quarter notes in the other if you follow Fred's directions. To repeat them (customized for your given example):

- Set sop stem direction (it should be up)
- Set half note duration
- Enter the sop note
- Set alto stem direction (it should be down)
- Set quarter duration
- Add first also note using Ctrl+Enter (or Insert | Chord Member)
- Lastly, add the second alto note

Done.

FYI: For advanced arrangements, you can quickly start using layering by creating a new file (File | New) and selecting the SATB template.
Post by: Joe Music on 2001-11-18 05:00 am
Perhpas Dana (and other new users) would like to know what "layering" is!

Layering allows two staff lines to be merged together (superimposed). That way, the lines of music can be entered independently (e.g. one for Soprano, one for Alto) then layered for printing, so that Soprano and Alto appear on one staff line, as desired. Since the notation entry is independent, you can do whatever kind of stem direction and timing you like (more or less).
Post by: Blair Dowden on 2001-11-19 05:00 am
Staff layering not only makes it easier to enter the notes, you can get other benefits. For playback, you can assign different instruments to each voice, or mute one. You can hide one of the layers. You can even make the notes on a layer a different colour.