NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Jorge D. Fuentes on 2023-05-17 02:47 pm

Title: Real Instrument Dynamic Velocities
Post by: Jorge D. Fuentes on 2023-05-17 02:47 pm
Good morning, all!
I haven't posted in a long time, and the search function for this isn't yielding results that are relevant, so I'm gonna ask:

Is there a listing of Noteworthy Composer "Default Dynamic Velocities" table for orchestral instruments?
I have created several scores using NWC, but the playback has a few issues due to dynamics.

For example, a flute is not as loud as a trumpet, so the Fortissimo (ff) marking for a flute should switch the velocity of the flute to a value that is lower than the Fortissimo marking for a Trumpet.

I need the default dynamics, if anyone has them, for orchestral instruments for playback.
Instruments that overpower others with their relative loudness would have higher values for their dynamics (trumpet, saxophone) than them (flute, etc.).

Does such a list exist?  And if not, does anyone have any advice?
The instruments needed are the orchestral set, plus saxophones, piano, and choir. So:
-Piccolo
-Flute
-Oboe
-Clarinet
-Bass Clarinet
-Bassoon
-Alto Sax
-Tenor Sax
-Baritone Sax
-F.Horn
-Trumpet
-Flugelhorn
-Trombone
-Bass Trombone
-Baritone/Euphonium
-Tuba
-Piano
-Soprano Voice
-Alto Voice
-Tenor Voice
-Bass Voice
-Violin
-Viola
-Cello
-Contrabass

I would imagine the loudest instruments (Trumpets, Saxes) would have louder relative velocities than the softer instruments (Flute, Strings, etc.).
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  If there's an User Tool one can use to quickly create the overrides, that would be great, also.

Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: Real Instrument Dynamic Velocities
Post by: Flurmy on 2023-05-17 07:33 pm
Well, the problem is not NWC but your synth/soundfont.

To complicate the matter even more, the dynamic response of the synth is not standard. Every manufacturer, if not every model, has a different curve.
I have an old document comparing some instruments, but I can not attach it here because, even zipped, it's oversize.

The best would be to use a soundfont editor to level off each instrument volume of your preferred soundfont, but it's not so easy for a not techie.

The simplest solution is to use the part volume in NWC to obtain the desired voice balance.
Usually I do the local volume changes using the "expression" MPC so as to leave the "volume" free to be used as a master channel setting.
Post by: Jorge D. Fuentes on 2023-07-01 02:30 pm
You wouldn't happen to be able to host this document on a GDrive so that it can be downloaded?
That would be a big help.

I know how to edit soundfonts, but that's not my primary mode of playback.
I run the output of noteworthy directly into my DAW, which uses different instruments.
I suppose I'd have to do each instrument's volume envelope separately...

I was hoping someone had some ballparks and decibel levels, so that even if I have to it from scratch by hand on my own instrument samples, I have some kinda real world baseline.
Post by: Flurmy on 2023-07-01 03:07 pm
At the moment I only found this.
It's old but I think you get the idea.
Post by: MusicJohn on 2023-07-04 09:26 pm

I may be missing the point, here, but ... surely it's irrelevant what the real-life differences in dynamic values - volumes - actually are for real instruments, for the NWC2 "Insert Instrument change" allows the dynamic volume values for each Midi instrument (whether inserted onto or assigned to a staff/channel) to be altered as much as you require.  So the volume associated with "p" chosen for, say, a flute can be different from that for the "p" chosen for a violin and different from that for the "p" chosen for a trumpet.  Therefore you can adjust relative volumes any way you want, so that it sounds right to you.

MusicJohn, 4Jul23
Post by: Flurmy on 2023-07-05 05:01 pm
so that it sounds right to you.
That's the point: it sounds right to you on your HW with your samples...
Post by: MusicJohn on 2023-07-06 08:26 am
   Exactly so.  There's no way you can make allowances for other people's equipment, only your own - which is what you want!

MusicJohn, 6/Jul/2
Post by: Flurmy on 2023-07-06 05:44 pm
Egoist!  :))
Post by: MusicJohn on 2023-07-06 05:46 pm
     Very true!  [:-)]