Skip to main content
Topic: problem recording with a midi keyboard (Read 3260 times) previous topic - next topic

problem recording with a midi keyboard

I'm running win98, with an Edirol USB/MIDI connector to a Yamaha PSR-330.  It has 1 MIDI cable from the Yamaha's midi out to the Edirol's midi in.  Oh, NW v1.75+WebUpdate4.

I've told win98 that the Edirol should be the recording device (it actually shows up as "CS4236/37/38" in ControlPanel->Multimedia->Recording).

I've told NW that MIDI playback is my soundcard (an SBLive!), and port usage is always.  On the record tab, I've told it the input device is "EDIROL UM-1 MIDI", to echo midi input (to the soundcard, echo to channel 1, and to import staff to "buffer only".

However, I can't get anything to record, with either method.

To make me more frustrated, for a brief moment after hooking up the keyboard and making the initial settings, I got the "remote entry" method to work.  Bouyed by that success, I then tried to do "record play" mode.  No success.  After I finish recording, I choose Staff->ImportRecording, but it always says "There is not any recording data in the recording buffer..."  I change a few configurations, still no success.  Well, I can always go back to "remote entry" mode.  Wrong.  Even after changing my settings back and turning MIDI Input Active back to active, that will no longer work either.

Can anyone give me some advice?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: problem recording with a midi keyboard

Reply #1
It would seem to me that your USB midi adaptor's device setting should be in ControlPanel->Multimedia->MIDI.

Reply #2
Fred,

THANKS!  That was it.  Somehow, that setting had been changed to the "Yamaha SXG50 Driver" setting; putting it back to the "EDIRPL UM-1 MIDI" fixed it.  I don't remember doing that, but for now, who cares.  It works in both modes!!! :-)

Kevin

Reply #3
i have the same keyboard(yahama PSR-330) i have connect the keyboard on the gameport to midi in and out but windows XP doesn't detect it. what seems to be the problem??

greetingsss

Michael

Reply #4
Probably the same as Michael's problem. You have to set the midi port to the external (game port) in the Control Panel | Multimedia midi tab. Windows can't detect this automatically, you have to set it yourself.

Another common problem is that the midi cables are connected backwards. The Midi OUT cable from the computer has to go to Midi IN on the keyboard, and vice versa.

Reply #5
The virtual keyboard in soundforge won't record. When I hit the record button soundforge won't let me press any keys so it can record.

Reply #6
I have a similar problem but  I'm running mas OS X , I have an M-audio  usb to midi interface  with 1 in 1out,  I have the midi out on my yamaha PSR-330 to midi in on the interface and the midi in on the keyboard to midi out on the interface. I'm using Cubase Sx as my sequencer but can't record and can't figure out how to set it up. I turn the local off on my keyboard and have cubase set up to midi thru and I 'm trying to get my keyboard to play the Vst 's that come with cubase, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it thanks.