Skip to main content
Topic: loss of ties etc. when exporting (Read 4578 times) previous topic - next topic

loss of ties etc. when exporting

When exporting to a word processor in order to add chord symbols I find that everything copies fine except slurs, ties and accidentals which do not appear.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem.

Re: loss of ties etc. when exporting

Reply #1
If using NWC 1.75b. search for: WMF
If using NWC2,  search for: EMF

Using NWC 1.75b, I pasted a page into WordPad, and saved a page as 1.WMF and viewed it in IrfanView.  In both cases, slurs and accidentals looked fine. The file I used didn't have any ties.

Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks Rick G.

I'll try what you suggest

Reply #3
I add chord symbols as text within NWC.  Is there a reason that is not useful to you?  (not criticising, just curious)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
To pick up where Lawrie leaves off, his custom fonts available in the Scriptorium include SwingChords, which has most of the chord symbols.   There are two ways to enter them. 

The easiest way is to write them all as if they're lyrics, in the lyric editor.  You have to make sure they are placed where you want them, but there are a couple of ways to do that - check the help menu for lyrics.

The traditional way is to just enter them as text, one at a time, but I find that a bit tedious.

Reply #5
Thanks to all that replied.

I found it works ok in Wordpad. I had previously been using Pageplus. there must be a problem there.

I,ll try your other tips.

Thanks

Reply #6
David

Using Lyric Editor - can chord symbols be added above the staff when a lyric already exists below it? If so how?

I've downloaded 'Swing Chords' but I'm not sure what to do with it!

Sorry to be so dense.

Reply #7
Using Lyric Editor - can chord symbols be added above the staff when a lyric already exists below it? If so how? 

Use a second staff which you will fill with muted notes with visibility=never.  Then you configure the lyrics for this staff and layer this staff under the other one.  The lyrics for the first staff can be positioned below, and the lyrics for the second staff can be positioned above.  It's going to be easier to use a special staff just for the chords, anyway, since you won't have to set as many "lyric syllable" note properties.

If you were working without real lyrics, I'd just go to page setup/fonts, and change the Staff Lyric to Swing Chords.  Using the lyric editor set to Swing Chords won't work if you have real lyrics, too, but maybe you can manage with an ordinary font?  If your chord notation is pretty basic, just use the ordinary font "G Maj" or "Db°" for instance.  (The diminished sign is made with alt-0176 on your numeric keypad.)

If you need the great chord symbols in Swing Chords, you have to insert them one by one using the insert text feature.  Set Userfont1 to Swingchords, then move to the spot in the staff where you want the chord symbol (before the note where the chord changes).  Press X to insert the text, spell the chord, , and align it "at next note/bar."  Then go on to the next entry. 

If your cursor is in the correct vertical position when you enter the text, you won't have to adjust the vertical position of the chord symbols.  That gets tedious if you are using a lot of text entries for different things. 

Since some chords will be used many times, you might find it saves work to spell them once, then copy them to where you need them to be. 

Reply #8
G'day snooker,

<snip>I've downloaded 'Swing Chords' but I'm not sure what to do with it!

Sorry to be so dense.

Firstly thankyou for having a look at the SwingDings suite.

Now, in the download zip file there is a PDF that has a series of tables that hold the extended ASCII values (and <Alt-nnn> codes) for use when manually entering the symbols.

However, as advised in the PDF, it is far easier to use "Typecase" (there is also a link to a url where you can download it in the PDF) for more complex chords structures.

Run Typecase, select SwingChord as the desired font, click on the elements required to create the chord, click the "buffer to clipboard" option, go to NWC, press <x> where you want the chord inserted, paste into the text field and make sure you have the user font that is assigned to SwingChord selected... 

Sounds teedjous don't ut  :)

It really isn't hard, but for the more common chords you can do it ALL from the keyboard very easily...  E.G.

To place a B flat minor 7th with an F bass (Bbm7/F) simply locate the cursor where you want the chord to appear, press <x>, enter EITHER "Bbm7/F" OR "Bb>7/F" in the text field, make sure the user font assigned to SwingChord is selected and press <Enter>

The difference between the 2 expressions:
"Bbm7/F" will give Bbm7/F

"Bb>7/F" will give Bbmin7/F

The flat symbol is correct, it isn't simply a lower case "b", the 7 is smaller than the uppercase letters making up the chord spelling and is aligned with the top, the "min" in the second variant is a single glyph (for those who prefer "min" to "m")

You could also have, say "C#M" or "C#<"

"C#M" - looks much the same but the sharp is properly formed, it isn't just a straight "hash" or pound sign, the M is smaller than the chord letters (A to G) and positioned to top align

"C#<" - will give "C#Maj" - the Maj is a single glyph and is available for those who prefer "Maj" to the simple "M"

Hope this is helpful...

There is also sample chart in the PDF in the distro...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Thanks David and Lawrie

You've given me a lot to digest,
I've printed  it off so I can study it.

Thanks again.