Skip to main content
Topic: Flow Control (Read 4542 times) previous topic - next topic

Flow Control

I dunno if anyone else has had or noticed this problem, but in version 2 when I put a "To Coda" flow direction between two tied notes the "Coda" doesn't start off with a tied note like version 1.75 did.  It is just me?

Re: Flow Control

Reply #1
It's not just you.  The tie doesn't, but should, carry into the coda.  At least the tie works well into a second ending.  Both the second ending tie and the untied coda are illustrated here.  Minor tweak needed, I think.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:120|Pos:10
|Key|Signature:C
|TimeSig|Signature:AllaBreve
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0^
|Flow|Style:ToCoda|Pos:7|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0^
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down
|Flow|Style:DCalCoda|Pos:16|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Style:SectionClose
|Flow|Style:Coda|Pos:8
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
Another flow control problem...  and one that I think is quite common.

I am working on a ragtime piece now in typical march format, 1st strain, 2nd, trio, break strain, trio.

At the end of the trio I have a 1st ending, then a default ending (for the last time through).  There are no end repeat barlines, as it is intended to only play the trio once the first time, take the 1st ending, which has pickups to the break strain.

Then the break strain, at the end of which is a DS al Fine.

This DS's back to the Sign at the beginning of the Trio.  This time the player would play on through, skip the 1st ending, and play the default ending, which has a Fine at the end of that measure.

Visually, this all makes sense to the players, and there is no problem.  But it is in playback via NWC that is the problem.

When playing in NWC, it plays the 1st time through the Trio just fine, but skips over the 1st ending, not playing it at all, and goes directly to the Break strain.  Then it DS's correctly back to the Sign at the beginning of the Trio, and when it gets to the end, takes the default ending and plays that measure correctly, ending the piece.

So, what can I do to get it to play that first measure?

I have another piece that refuses to play a section at all.

Suggestions?

Reply #3
Paul, are you the fellow who has that excellent saxophone website?  Welcome to the Noteworthy community.

Is this what you're trying to accomplish? (select the entire sample in the box, copy into a staff in NWC).

|Tempo|Tempo:240|Pos:13
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Text|Text:"first strain"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
|Bar|Style:Double
|Text|Text:"second strain"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
|Flow|Style:Segno|Pos:8|Justify:Right
|Text|Text:"trio"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9
|Key|Signature:Bb
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Ending|Endings:D
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3
|Flow|Style:Fine|Pos:8|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Flow|Style:DSalFine|Pos:8|Justify:Right

Reply #4
David, thanks for your example in Reply 1.

We confirm the problem. It will be fixed in the next NWC2 release.

Reply #5
You're welcome, Eric.  I love this copying feature.  It makes it so much easier to discuss glitches and ideas.

Reply #6
Yeah, I like it too, does it work the other way? Can I copy/cut a portion of a stave from NWC and paste it into a box here?

Have fun - The Hankster

Reply #7
Yes, that's how I get the clips I paste into these boxes.  (I think that's the only way you can do it)

Reply #8
A related problem

|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
The crotchet in the First Time bar is slurred, but it doesn't show. It ought to appear as a hanging slur back to the Master Repeat Open bar.

Reply #9
Interesting glitch.  NWC doesn't seem to draw the slur curve unless a target note is in place. In other words, if you have 2 unslurred notes, and then slur the first one, the curve shows up; if you initially entered the first note as slurred, the curve won't show until the following note is entered.

I think NWC looks to the right for that next note, and the tweak needed is to get it to recognize the note following a flow direction command is to be interpreted as being to the right, even if it's way off to the left.

As an aside, since your slurred notes don't change pitch, I wonder if you should have used a tie instead?  The tie does work properly in your example, although the curve is short since it doesn't cross a bar line.  Almost short enough to be missed when reading from a printed copy, I think.

Reply #10
No, the two notes at the same pitch was just a coincidence. I really was trying to illustrate a point about slurs.

Reply #11
Sorry, Peter, you did illustrate your point very well.

I did a bit of experimenting with your example, and by the time I came back and finished my response, I forgot I was responding to an experienced user.  My apologies. I should have checked.