Skip to main content
Topic: FLUTE MUSIC MUST BECOME CLARINET MUSIC!!! (Read 3582 times) previous topic - next topic

FLUTE MUSIC MUST BECOME CLARINET MUSIC!!!

Prevous Message:
Hey everyone...
I was wondering if anyone could help me...
I was searching to find out how to transpose flute music into B flat clarinet music...
I did find out I have to add two semitones...
But what does that mean??
Could someone give me an example...
Please help, really urgent,
BJ
New Message:
How do I transpose...I am using the Finale 2004 Demo and under tools there is no transpose? Does anyone have a music program they can send me...or give me a website that I could go to to get a music program where I could enter the music as flute music and then transpose it to clarinet? Please help, and thanks to everyone that has already replied before...
Thanks,
BJ
Ps. This music is for an aduition that I am having in only a few days, the sooner I transpose the sooner I can practice it...

Re: FLUTE MUSIC MUST BECOME CLARINET MUSIC!!!

Reply #1
You sound like you're in a hurry!

Go to http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/evaluate.htm

Click the download link and save the file onto your hard drive. Once the setup file download is complete, simply run the setup program to install the evaluation edition of the program.

Entering a melody is simplicity itself : Having put a clef (Insert \ Clef...) key signature (Insert \ Key Signature) and time signature (Insert \ Time Signature...) in, just move the insertion point up and down, choose the note length and press ENTER.

THEN..  Click on Tools \ Transpose  set it to transpose +2, and hit OK

Then de-install Fin*le.  [If you had more time then I would suggest deinstalling it first!]

I hope the audition goes well!  If it does, then perhaps you should celebrate by paying for the full version of Noteworthy Composer!

Reply #2
Thanks David, but I have one more question...do you know if there is a way to take it down an octave?? Using Noteworthy?? Because the flute music is high and transposed is even higher (the clarinet doesn't even reach the notes)...and instead of having writting it in myself I was wondering if there is a way to take it down an octave...
BJ

Reply #3
Am I missing something? Transpose down ten semitones!

Reply #4
If I may add a little clarificaton:

Transpose -10 semitones will take you from Flute to Clarinet an octave lower in one step.

If you want to do it in stages Transpose +2 takes you from flute to clarinet at the same pitch. Then tranpose -12 will take you to clarinet an octave lower.

Stephen

PS:  As a clarinet player myself I would recommend that you learn how to transpose on the fly - after your audition of course.  You will find it very useful if you can transpose from written concert pitch to Bb clarinet (so that you can fill in when the flute or oboe player goes sick) and if you can play Bb parts on an A instrument and vice versa (so you can avoid the panic when the composer gives you half a bars rest in which to swap instruments).  If you get really keen then you can tackle Eb alto sax parts and horn in F.

Reply #5
...half a bar's rest...
What, you need more time than that?
;)

Reply #6
Wrote this in response to your other posting in another thread.  Echoes some of the advice above.

"This isn't a Finale forum. Finale will transpose, but you need to check its help menu for instructions. Suggest you use NWC, it's much easier to work with. For NWC, just export the file as a midi file from Finale, and import it to NWC, then use the transpose feature of NWC (see the Tools popdown menu).

However, I have the impression from what you wrote that you're fairly new to clarinet? If you're ready to audition , you probably are ready to learn how to sight transpose - it's not hard, just takes a little practice and concentration while playing. It's a good skill to develop, and you won't need any music software at all to do it.

Examples:

If you read a B flat on a flute chart ("concert pitch"), you will play C natural on clarinet (this is why it's called a Bb clarinet).

If you have a B natural on the flute part, play a C sharp on the clarinet.

If you read F sharp, play G sharp.

If you read an E flat, play F natural.

E natural, play F sharp, and so on.

If this is Greek to you, look at a piano keyboard. Each key is 1/2 tone above the one to its left. Pick out the note on your flute score on the piano keyboard, and move two keys to the right. Don't forget to count the black keys as well as the white ones."

Good luck with the audition.