Skip to main content
Topic: Another question about extending lyrics (Read 2737 times) previous topic - next topic

Another question about extending lyrics

I am transcribing a song that has a lot of "oo"s and "ah"s in it and long line extensions showing how long to hold the notes throughout the song.  I unchecked the "Underscore shown as space" option and the underscore lines appear as they should.  But how can I then place these "oo"s and "ah"s in their proper place on the score since the space bar doesn't seem to move the text?  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ron Davidson
Mt. Sidney, VA.

Re: Another question about extending lyrics

Reply #1
Instead of a <space>, try ALT+160
This will insert a "no-break space". NoteWorthy treats "no-break spaces" as normal characters.
I doubt that this approach will produce usable word extenders for lyrics.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I normally don't bother with word extenders, but on the few occassions where it was necessary to use them I added them as text entries, not as lyrics.

2 entries per extender, one left justified and positioned to start at the end of the word, and one right justified and positioned where the line needs to end.  Both lines are long enough to overlap.  You may need to pad with spaces to get the placememnt just right.

I found trying to do it with lyrics too frustrating to be worth the effort.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies.  I'll give both a try. 

I'm not a programmer, but it doesn't seem it should be all that difficult to have a feature that allows one to ad the lyric extension where needed without having to add it in as a text insert.