Skip to main content
Topic: Printing Staves VERY LARGE (NWC2) (Read 4592 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing Staves VERY LARGE (NWC2)

I'm currently composing a song (in NWC2), and out of curiousity checked out the "Print Preview" to see if it looked the same as in the previous versions.  All was normal with the exception of the staves looking like "first-grader music" as my friend so eloquently described it.  I sought to correct this by using the old route of File/Page Setup/Options/Staff Size(in points) ...or something along those lines...and I've yet to find anywhere to make the printed product have more than 4 total grand staves on each page.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much,
James Elliott

Re: Printing Staves VERY LARGE (NWC2)

Reply #1
G'day James,
just did a very quick test - 64 bars of whole rests on both upper and lower staves using the piano template as a starting point.

The default was a staff metric of 26pt which did indeed give 4 grand staves to the first page.  I stepped it down until I got to 21pt where it went to 5 grand staves.  AT 18pt it went to 6 grand staves.  At 15pt it went to 7 grand staves but this is really too small.

You can also adjust the upper and lower bounds of each staff which will also end up affecting the number of staves on a page as you increase or reduce the vertical space each staff requires.  This is done in the staff properties dialogue on the "Visual" tab.

My test was done with an A4 page setup with 1.78 cm margins all round.  I allowed the staff metrics change to proportionally scale the other font sizes.  This affects the title font size which will also have an impact on the number of staves on the first page.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
NWC2 no longer places the system font size adjustment on the "options" tab of the Page Setup dialog. You'll now find it on the "fonts" tab, under the label "staff metrics" - a more logical place, I think. There's a "change" button if you don't like the default staff size.

HTH -

Bill

Reply #3
The Piano Template has Staff Metrics set to 26pt. It is too large and serves no purpose other than to confuse new users and irritate me. IMNSHO, it should be 18pt, the size of most commercial piano music.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
G'day Bill,
NWC2 no longer places the system font size adjustment on the "options" tab of the Page Setup dialog.

Arrggghhh - thanks for reading what the poor bloke actually wrote and responding to that.

My apologies James, I didn't read what you said carefully enough and answered the wrong question...

Rick and Bill: You can, of course, always modify the piano template to suit your own needs but I tend to agree that a default "out of the box" of 26pt is a little excessive.  That said, if the default was aimed at the education market, younger people do tend to respond well to large fonts.  Expecially in the K to 6 bracket.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Ha, thanks much everyone...

I too clearly overlooked the new location...

Problem resolved!

-James

Reply #7
I too clearly overlooked the new location...

Problem resolved!
Page Setup Command is not much help. It neglects to mention anything about Staff Metrics, using the terms 'Notation Typeface' and 'Print Size' instead.

Clicking with the 'Help cursor' in NWC2's Staff Metrics group box yields a rather cryptic message from 'NoteWorthy Composer 2 Help' (nwc2help.chm).

The regulars know that NWC2's help file is somewhat lacking and try to make up for it. Thanks for posting that the forum was helpful.
Registered user since 1996