Skip to main content
Topic: Request help with a problem (Read 3270 times) previous topic - next topic

Request help with a problem

I have a problem that I have been unable to solve and with which I need assistance.

When using V1.75 of NWC, the problem arises when playing a syncopated note in last bar before a SPECIAL ENDING of a one-line melody that has a TIE into a SPECIAL ENDING. The tie into the SPECIAL ENDING works fine, however, NWC sounds TWO notes when it transitions into the actual ending, i.e., NWC ignores the final tie and sounds the last eighth-note AND the final half-note separately even though they should be tied together.

The following example demonstrates the problem in 4/4 time:

(1/8 note)  (1/8 note tied to 1/8 note) (1/8 note tied to 1/8 note)  (1/8 note tied to 1/8 note) (1/8 note tied to half note where the half note is inside the special ending).

Is there any way to solve this problem or can someone suggest a "work-around"?

BTW, I tried to "Search" for a solution, but I was unable to find anything.  If there has been a previously posted solution that I missed, then I apologize in advance.

Thanks,

-- debo

Re: Request help with a problem

Reply #1
I have discovered a simple work-around.  (I don't know why I didn't think of it before now.)

On can simply move the measure with the offending tie so that the entire measure is INSIDE the SPECIAL ENDING and inside the actual ending.  This eliminates the problem except for the cluttered look of the endings when the score is printed.

Even though there is a work-around of sorts, I still believe that this problem is a "bug" that needs some attention from NWC.

Thanks.

-- debo

Reply #2
You need to put a Special Ending (second time bar) for the actual ending too. That way the eighth note is tied to both versions of the half note.

Reply #3
Re:  Peter Edwards

Perhaps I am a bit confused in that I do not understand what a second time bar is.

The staff in my composition is arrange this way:

(master repeat open) (multiple measures of melody including a syncopated last measure of melody before special ending, the last note of which is a 1/8 note tied into a half-note inside the special ending) (special ending) (master repeat close) (separate final ending which is the same as the original special ending).

Is the (final ending) in my composition the same as the second time bar to which you refer?

-- debo

Reply #4
Yes. You need a Special Ending 2 on the bar immediately after the Master Repeat Close.

Reply #5
When each of your endings is designated with a special ending designation, a tie into the first ending will be expected in all other endings as well. If the note in the final ending does not show a tie into it, then that ending is not designated correctly. Take a look at the REPEAT*.NWC samples in the program folder. It will show how to construct a special ending repeat sequence.