Skip to main content
Topic: Printing with dot matrix printers (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing with dot matrix printers

I am having problems printing using Epsom FX-1000 & FX-1050 printers. I am using Windows 3.1 and 3.11 on 2 seperate PCs.

When I try to increase the staff point size to get a better page fit to a document, the programme seems to make step changes rather than the smooth changes in point size with previous versions.

For example for as many as 5 different point sizes the notes stay the same size, fitting onto one page. Then, suddenly, as I increase the size by one point the notes radically change in size, overflowwing onto 3 or even 4 pages.

I have noticed I do not have this problem with laserjet printers.

Can anybody help?

Re: Printing with dot matrix printers

Reply #1
I already had that problem. This seems not te be related to the printer, but because the file you use has been created with an earlier version. You may try to save it again (in a temp file for archive sake), then close your file and open the saved one. It solved me the trouble for the cases I met. I do not guarantee this will work for yours...
Hope this helps anyway. (I use Epson ColorPro (and sometimes HPLJ3PS))

Reply #2
Peter: What were the point sizes? Do you still have the file? If so, and you send a copy to beta@noteworthysoftware.com, then we will have a look...

Reply #3
In your email, you wrote:

<< Using an Epsom FX-1050 (or FX-1000) & Windows 3.1 14pt to 17pt inclusive all leave the staves the same size (fitting onto 2 pages finishing on the 3rd line) 18pt and above put the staves onto 4  pages
>>

I installed an FX-1050 on one of our test systems. I noticed that this printer supports several print resolutions (240x144, 120x144, 120x72). This first thing to point out is that the higher the resolution, the better that NWC will perform (finer details can be printed). For testing, I set the resolution to 120x144, and then tested your file. I used Preview to test, as we do not actually have this printer.

In my test results, each staff size from 14 through 19 yielded successively different results, although some were fairly close. What resolution are you using? You can find this out on the Preview tab in Page Setup.