Skip to main content
Topic: Marcato not working properly (Read 5360 times) previous topic - next topic

Marcato not working properly

I am having trouble indicating marcato.  I get a rectangle around the notes I am trying to mark as marcato.  Some notes marked as a block will get the proper graphic.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Marcato not working properly

Reply #1

How are you writing the marcato sign?   Do you enter the note, then highlight it and make it marcato, or do you set the marcato sign before you enter the note, or do you highlight several notes and make them marcato?  Are you using the native marcato sign (the icon and/or ! (the shift and number 1 key)?

It would help to know which version of Noteworthy Composer and which Windows version, as well as the type of computer monitor.

If you can also post a screen shot that would help too.

Reply #2
How are you writing the marcato sign?   Do you enter the note, then highlight it and make it marcato, or do you set the marcato sign before you enter the note, or do you highlight several notes and make them marcato?  Are you using the native marcato sign (the icon and/or ! (the shift and number 1 key)?

It would help to know which version of Noteworthy Composer and which Windows version, as well as the type of computer monitor.

If you can also post a screen shot that would help too.

Actually David, I think the Marcato command is ^ (shift 6 on US keyboards), not !. But I concur with your advice, it would help if he could include a screen shot to indicate the problem. It could have to do with the type of notes being annotated, or other score settings.

Reply #3
I have tried all of the methods you mentioned to enter the marcato.  I am using NWC2 2.5.5 and Win7 on a laptop.  I have not found how to include a screen shot.  When I select a block of notes, some were properly marked other were put into a rectangle.

Reply #4
I'm a little curious if you are using the standard system font (NWC2STDA) or one of my alternatives?

Also, if you upgrade you membership to NWC2USER you could post the file (or preferably a part thereof) so we can check it on our systems...

Instructions to upgrade your membership here:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5483.0
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
That's the problem, I am not using MWC2STDA.  With what I was using, I would get the marcato with notes B and above and the rectangle outline with notes A and below. 

Next question, can I control the location of the symbol?

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply #6
Not very much. There is no control over what character from the font is used.
If the mark is on the notehead, Noteworthy determines its placement. If the mark is on the stem, you can move it up/down by modifying the stemlength.

I use text for the majority of the articulations. I have much more control with text.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
sorry - my comment was wrong so I've blanked it.  How do I delete this reply?

Reply #8
That's the problem, I am not using MWC2STDA.  With what I was using, I would get the marcato with notes B and above and the rectangle outline with notes A and below. 

Hi Jerry,
that suggests there is an error in the font you were using.  Please, what font was in use?  I'm particularly interested if there is an error in one of my *Dings suites because it means I would need to correct it and work out a way to distribute the update!

The only real control of location is whether the the articulation is on the head or stem of the note (note properties dialogue) unless you use text as per Rick's suggestion.

FYI when the Marcato changes from a "hat" (^) to a "vee" (v) it normally happens at the change from middle line (B on treble clef) to second space (A on treble clef).  As these are different characters in the font it suggests the "vee" has a problem - it's probably been missed.

Reply #9
I'm particularly interested if there is an error in one of my *Dings suites because it means I would need to correct it and work out a way to distribute the update!
No need to wonder. Just download each of these clips to the Viewer:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.51)
|PgSetup|NtnTypeface:NWC2MusikDingsSans
|Text|Text:"NWC2MusikDingsSans"
|Note|Dur:4th,Marcato|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
|PgSetup|NtnTypeface:NWC2MusikDingsSerif
|Text|Text:"NWC2MusikDingsSerif"
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
|PgSetup|NtnTypeface:NWC2SwingDings
|Text|Text:"NWC2SwingDings"
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
Lawrie Pardy -- You probably already know but I was using NWC2SwindDings.

Thanks for everyones' help.

Jerry

Reply #11
Hi Jerry,
thanks for letting me know...

The version of SwingDings I'm using doesn't display that problem so I can only assume you have an older version.

Please go to http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au and download the NWC2SystemFontUpdates (it's pretty old, there haven't been any updates for some time).  There are basic install instructions on that page.

Remember to close NWC first, unzip the downloaded file to a location that is NOT your fonts folder, DELETE the same name fonts from the fonts folder and finally copy the new ones in from the unzip location.

Please confirm (or not) that this has resolved the problem.

Lawrie

Reply #12
Lawrie, the font file I had was dated 2006.  The one from the link you provided was dated 2010 and took care of the problem.  Thanks.

Jerry

Reply #13
Hi Jerry,
excellent news.  Thanks for the update.