Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Quality, Copyright data entry, Messagebox to user (Read 3058 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Quality, Copyright data entry, Messagebox to user

Hi everyone.
I've 3 items/wishes to present.
I find that NWC 1.75, in play music mode, the sound quality is not so close to the 'real' instrument, as when I do playback using JetAudio. I know there are other media players out there used, but I really appreciate the way JetAudio does the playback of the MIDI files from NWC. So can the sound reproduction quality in NWC and NWP be improved?
2nd, the copyright data. It is commonly printed this way: "Copyright <Year> by <company/person>". The problem I find that that I only need to change everytime the <Year> and the <company/person> value, but even the "Copyright..." text can be altered. Why not open up only the <Year> and the <company/person>, and just the same, print the whole line of copyright info? Programming-wise, I know this is possible.
3rd, (and I've sent this to Noteworthy, so just for everyone else to know), when a staff is muted, and you, whether intentionally or by accident, press Shift-F5, nothing happens. So if you're working with many staffs, or simply, you've forgotten that you muted that staff, you'd be wondering that in the world is happening. So my suggestion is to throw out a message box that will inform the user that "the staff is muted, and will not be played", or something to that effect.
That's what I'm looking for in v2.0, as a newbie in NWC.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

A music hobbyist,
Porfy

Re: Sound Quality, Copyright data entry, Messagebox to user

Reply #1
I don't work for NWC, but my guesses are:

(1) If the playback from NWC is not the same as Jet audio, maybe the two programs are using different sound databases? This is the most likely explanation. Try saving as MIDI from NWC, then play the MIDI via Jet Audio. Is that better?

Another possibility is that somehow, an instrument was changed (maybe substituting electric piano for acoustic piano, or something like that). Never happened for me, but I've read elsewhere that it can happen, especially if you imported a MIDI written for custom instruments.

Another possibility is that when a MIDI is imported into NWC, the timing of notes is quantized for the convenience of sheet music, and the pitches (if bent) may be quantized. Or, FX originally in the MIDI may be dropped when converted to sheet music. In other words, the music itself is changed. This is not unexpected. Nor is it a flaw in the program, since NWC is not intended as a general-purpuse sequencer program.

(2) Some NWC users do not write in English. That's why "copyright" can be changed. Incidentally, you can insert the circle-c symbol from your character map, if you wish.

Also, not everybody wishes to place a copyright notice. Many NWC users graciously score public domain music. By allowing arbitrary text, the flexibility is improved.

(3) Sounds like a useful idea.

Reply #2
I just wish the Copyright <Year> would automatically update in each template the way it does with each New (Ctrl+N) file.  Every year, I have to open all my templates and change the year manually.  What a pain.

Reply #3
Sometimes I use the copyright block for information which has nothing to do with copyright.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #4
Having the current year in the copyright field won't work for me.  I work with music that was written long ago.

Reply #5
I think the copyright block needs to be bigger.  I use Creative Commons licences, and the notification information for a CC licence is to lengthy for the copyright area, even using both blocks.  So, more room, please. As well, the area, if larger, could be used for other sorts of information.

Reply #6
Just for information, the copyright symbol is at ANSI code 0169 (ALT-0169) and is a lot quicker than using Character Map!