Skip to main content
Topic: No success connecting MIDI Keyboard (Read 2296 times) previous topic - next topic

No success connecting MIDI Keyboard

Does ANYBODY know how to enable MPU401 under XP operating system? I have received more lip service from SoundMax, HP and am not smart enough to inquire of MICROSOFT site. Fred Astair, Gene Kelly and Donald Oconor could probably use all of the tap dance routines in some of their OLD MOVIES. Has ANYBODY been successful in getting a MIDI Keyboard recognized by the game port under XP Operating System? Please throw life preserver if you have. Bob Stewart, Lawton, MI

Re: No success connecting MIDI Keyboard

Reply #1
It works fine for me. I use the Microsoft's default "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" etc. drivers, because I have an integrated sound chip.

I just select MPU-401 on whichever dropdown box I need to. (You have selected it in NWC, too, haven't you?)

I know, shame on me; the music quality is poor, and polyphony is a bit limited (or then my system is misconfigured...) -- but I have a Yamaha XG SoftSynth on my other computer.

Reply #2
I will NEVER buy a computer with an integrated sound card because there is NO support trail. The computer manufacture can not give me the solution and the intergrated sound card manufacturer simply tells me "that is tough". I have found the solution for 98 but not for XP. This appears to be a three way road to failure: the Computer Manufacturer, the Sound Card Manufacturer and Microsoft with nobody willing to extend the courtesy of finding the solution. However, I am part Elephant and will remember this when I buy my next computer.

Reply #3
...that's about the size of it. However, keep in mind that it is possible to hook MIDI up to computers that don't even have a sound card. You would need a peripheral device that connects to one of the computer's ports, and comes with its own device driver. Just be sure that it works with XP! My old parallel-port interface, fine with W98, does not work under XP. I am told that there are several models of USB MIDI interfaces that do work with XP.

Reply #4
Does anyone have a solution for connecting a midi keyboard to soundmax-ombosrd-sound in meantime ?

udo-klesper@netcologne.de