Skip to main content
Topic: Connecting a MIDI Keyboard (Read 18226 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting a MIDI Keyboard

can i connect a MIDI keyboard so that when i press a note on the keyboard, it appears on the screen in noteworthy. If not, what are my options with Noteworthy. I havw just purchased a MIDI controller and know very little about it. Please post to this forum and please e-mail me at jaybar@walrus.com. Thank you.

Re: Connecting a MIDI Keyboard

Reply #1
Yes, absolutely! That's what the latest versino of NWC introduced. I'm still toying with whether it's quicker for me or not. I tend to think not, but other users may find it much easier.

If not, what are my options with Noteworthy...

I just enter from the computer keyboard, making great use of the up and down arrows, the enter key and the shift key. You can do it bloody fast after some practice!

> I havw just purchased a MIDI controller and know very little about it.
Well what did you buy it for?! :-)

I suggest you read NWC's documentation (their help file) to get as many hints about using a midi keyboard, and then see how you can use YOUR midi keyboard to effect that.

Unfortunately, NWC won't yet read things like mod wheels or pitch bend off MIDI, MIDI keyboards simply become note-enterers.

There are two ways to do it. The cutest is using RECORD, where you play along with - say - a beat track, adding line after line. Once you have tweaked the timing sensitivity of the MIDI Importer, you can get fairly good results, though you'll still have to go back to edit dynamics and tempo changes.

The second way it stepwise entering. This is much easier to do and to control.

As I said before, at some stage, it'll help to read the online help. :-)

Regards,

Andrew

Reply #2
I want to thank the support for the information about
crossing midi out-in cables. You solved my problem!
I was getting fool and cannot understand what was
wrong with my keyboard. Thanks also to the internet for
this precious information!
All the best.

Reply #3
Where can I get free sinthetizer software for my midi keyboard. I mean some software, which can I use like remote program for my keyboard. Make realtime changeable chords, bass, drums,... I have only Cakewalk home studio. I can't do this things with this software.
I have a little problem: My sustain pedal don't work.
Could you help me?
Just a one question: Do you know, how to make synthetizer for my midi keyboard at home? Can I do it?

Please write me......(It's urgent)

Michal Baranay
(Bratislava, Slovakia,
Europe, Earth, universe)

Reply #4
I have a General music keyboard and I was wondering what I need to connect it to my Toshiba computer. Would you be able to tell me that. Also I would like to know if there is a software program for transposing music. Thanks jane

Reply #5
Hello Jane,

MoteWorthy Composer is a good program for transposing. I have just finished doing just that for a small group who was given music in G-flat major, and the organist announced he was playing in F-major. (Can't say I blamed him!). I enterd the small piece, then transposed each stave down a semi-tone and there it was. Some enharmonics needed to be changed to show modulations correctly, but were minor.

MOst MIDI sequence programs also will transpose up or down however much you need it - it depends on what form your music is in.

Reply #6

Hello,I'm having a problem with my midi connection because I bougth a music program:piano&keyboard workshop by Magix.My computer is an Emachines window 98 the soundcard is Crystal sound fusion,I have a midi 15pin male cable connected one end to the computer in the joystick port.This cable has two exits one for in and other is out, the set up is as follows: Device Manager Sound,video and game controllers:Crystal soundfusion (tm) game device, Crystal soundfusion (tm)joystickand Crystal soundfusion (tm) PCI Audio Acceletormu. In Control pannel multimedia properties MIDI tab:single instrument:Crystal soundfusion(tm) FM ,Soundfusion (tm) External midi (this has been selected) .In Piano& keyboard Workshop midi setupSelect devices:inputs A:\SoundFusion (tm) External midi GS ,outputs C:\SoundFusion (tm) External midi GS. I have used two different Midi keyboards: Casio CT-650, and the other is Concertmate 990. I have the cables in the right places and the program only works with the screen keypoard. The program is to be used in both ways. I send several fax and E-mail to Magix but only answered once and it was wrong,I have been trying to find somebody who help me throu the internet but nothing. I arrived to this place and I hope you can help me. Thank you. Oria

Reply #7
You didn't say exactly how the cables are connected, so please excuse if this is obvious: the one marked OUT should go to the keyboard's IN, and the one marked IN goes to the keyboard's OUT.

Hope this helps...

Reply #8
Hi, Thanks for your tip about the cables,I did it but I only got to listen the program through my real keyboard when I use the screen keyboard. I think I am close because this is something. I will appreciate if you have other idea. Please write me because I'm trying to use the program with my piano students and the screen keyboard is so little and is difficult for them to work there. Thanks again. Oria

Reply #9

To: FRED NACHBAUR.

Please , read my last message about connectig a midi keyboard. I'll be very happy if you can help me.
If somebody else can help me ,please don't hesitate to do. I have bought the music program 1 month ago and I couldn't use it because the problem that I explained the 19 of July.I'll be waiting for some answer. Thanks. Oria

Reply #10
FYI: Oria, this area is NOT a Magix support forum.

Reply #11
Ok everyone, go easy on me. I am taking a midi recording class at school, and they use macs. I have a pc at home and my dad has a Korg Trinity V3 keyboard with midi ports in the back of it. I want to know what I need to buy in order to hook this keyboard up to my computer. I have a HP Pavilion 8480Z. I was surfing the net and i saw the "USB Midisport 4x4" by midiman. Would I be able to connect the usb port and then just run the midi cables from the keyboard to the midiman? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-James

Reply #12
Got new CTK651, connected to Simens computer with Crystal 4238b Sound-chip on board. No midi gets played back form CTK651 thru Crystal from computer?

Anyone any idea why?
(And I have got the wires the rightway round... I think so!)

andy

Reply #13
AndK: Connecting a Keyboard to your (Crystal) Sound Card requires you to assign an IRQ to your sound card. The problem I have is that there are not enough free IRQ's or just the wrong ones (like # 10; for some reason the sound card will accept only 4 or 5 specific IRQ's). A dirty way to get around this problem is to (previously) load a midi debug program that is able to do a permanent OUTPUT to the midi keyboard, such as timing signals or so, which won't do any harm to the keyboard. This maintains the sound driver alert so it will pick up the inputs already in the buffer that without an IRQ will never interrupt and so remain forgotten.
Eduardo

Reply #14
I HAVE THE SAME BOARD (CTK-651) AND THE RIGHT WIRES AND HE RIGHT WAY CONNECTED, BUT I CANNOT GET THE DAMN THIG TO WORK! ... I WANT TO USE THE KEYBOARDS SOUND TO PLAY MY MIDI FILES THROUGH , I HAVE LIKE 200 SONGS AND WANT THEM TO SOUND GOOD ... USING THE CAKEWALK INTERFACE,IT GIVES A LIMITED SET OF SOUNDS ... THE DRUMS SOUND REALLY CHEESY.. BUT WHEN I PREVIIEWED THE ACTUAL MIDI FILE ONLINE IT SOUNDED REAL NICE, THE INSTRUMENTS SOUNDED REAL.... BUT ONCE DOWNLOADED AND PLAYED THROUGH THE CAKEWALK PROGRAM ... IT LOSES ALL THE SWEET INSTRUMENTAL SOUND.... THUS MAKING IT SOUND LIKE ELEVATOR MUZAKK CAN YOU OR ANYONE HELP???

Reply #15
Jaymz writes:
...BUT ONCE DOWNLOADED AND PLAYED THROUGH THE CAKEWALK PROGRAM ... IT LOSES ALL THE SWEET INSTRUMENTAL SOUND....

Mm-hmm. This is a Noteworthy site, last I checked. Probably the question should be addressed to the Cakewalk people?

Reply #16
Need help on connecting two midi keyboards to the computer together. a single keyboard workd fine but i am unable to connect two keyboards. Both of keyboards have midi in and midi out ports but no midi thru port.

Reply #17
When you want to connect multiple MIDI keyboards into a MIDI setup, it is best to use a MIDI router, which supports flexible routing of multiple MIDI inputs to multiple output ports, and vice versa.

Reply #18
This caught me out the other day... Connected a Roland ep85 to my computer and connected the cables the right way. Set the midi input device to MPU-401 and also the midi output device to MPU-401. Everything looked sweet. Loaded a midi file and could play it and it came out the speakers in the keyboard.. Wow I thought - this is cool...

Tried to record and play along on the keyboard but after about 3 seconds after pressing record the program went back to normal mode and would not record anything. After trying just about everything for about 2 hours, I gave up.

Further investigation the next day revealed :

1. I was using sound built in to the motherboard. CM-830 or something like that.

2. The standard 'audio' software supplied was not installed by the shop where I bought it.

3. I installed the 'audio rack' software and one of the programs it installed was a program to either 'enable' or 'disable' the MPU-401 Midi Input.

I ran the program to enable it and everything now works fine. Why only Midi input is anybody's guess.

Just something to look out for....

Peter

Reply #19
I also have a Casio CTK531 that I am trying to hook up to my PC. I have Soundblaster Live and the midi cables are the right way round. The keyboard is set to 'local off' as per the instructions but alas nothing. I have been unable to sort this for over a year now and getting depressed. Please if anyone has any suggestions that a non-tecchie can understand <sighs> Thanks in advance

David

Reply #20
Sorry for the typo, the above post should read 'Casio CTK631'

Reply #21
Thxs so much for the cross in and out line responce, that was the problem. just to say it one more time, on the back of your keyboard place the OUT line in the IN port, and the IN line in the OUT port, And all is well, thxs again