Skip to main content
Topic: Notation of Der Wanderer, some difficulties (Read 6819 times) previous topic - next topic

Notation of Der Wanderer, some difficulties

Hello all,
I feel like a newbie these days. This score:
http://rdenheijer.nl/nwc/DerWanderer.jpg
has common time, but it is at the same time a 12/8 rhythm. That makes it a bit difficult to dot the quarters.
[edit] in fact, that is not very hard to get right with hidden time signatures and some hidden rests. [/edit]

Also, I could not find the crossbar of the dotted quarters in the available fonts. Am I overlooking a symbol?
best regards, Rob

Re: Notation of Der Wanderer, some difficulties

Reply #1
Also, I could not find the crossbar of the dotted quarters in the available fonts. Am I overlooking a symbol?

You won't find this in the standard NWC notation font. I gave a quick look through the Pardy Pack and didn't find a suitable glyph, but I did not look thoroughly.

Reply #2
The attachment is passable. If NWC would allow entry of 'Extra Note Space' to the nearest 1/100th of a note space (like it does for spacers), it would be ideal.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
It is a bit like a crossword puzzle with cryptic clues.
I always know that the answers are there, but they elude me a bit. However, the more I try solving them (and the more help I get, thanks again Rick!) the more I learn, and on many occasions I can now find my own answers - and solve the whole cryptic crossword puzzle.

The next thing I need to do is: enter Russian lyrics. Like so (I cannot read Russian, and Google Translate does not help 100 %):
по- бед-ных соп-неч-ных пу-чей
раэ-даст-ся бпа-го-вест все-мир-ный по-бед-ных 
сопнец-ных пу-цей по-бед-ных соп-неу-ных пу-цей 

They appear neatly in the lyrics editor, but they change into question marks immediately. OK, I will search the forum now ;-)

Reply #4
I was experimenting with a displayed/muted hidden/played pair using a crossbar from "NWC Extra Ornaments", but Rick G had already replied.  Mine didn't line up exactly--I left one in the 2nd measure for reference--Rick's workaround with stemless eighth notes in a layered staff works a lot better.  Since this really is working in 12/8 time a hidden 8th rest is needed after each set of his.

The faux tempo marking works in preview or viewer mode, not so much in edit mode.

Just noticed in my "hidden staff" (orchestra brackets), the dots on the half notes walk over the following dotted whole notes.  Any cure for this?

Edit: forgot attachment
Since 1998

Reply #5
Just noticed in my "hidden staff" (orchestra brackets), the dots on the half notes walk over the following dotted whole notes.  Any cure for this?
Put each voice on a layer. You will surely need to do this later in the piece. You might as well start now.

The faux tempo marking works in preview or viewer mode, not so much in edit mode.
Use a real one.
|Tempo|Tempo:63|Text:"Sehr langsam"|Pos:8
NWC won't let you disable this to keep it out of the MIDI stream. IMO, It should. In this case, its effect is canceled by the Tempo in the hidden staff.

Reply #6
You won't find this in the standard NWC notation font. I gave a quick look through the Pardy Pack and didn't find a suitable glyph, but I did not look thoroughly.

Yeah, sorry folks, looks like I missed this one :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Entering Russian Lyrics

Reply #7
The next thing I need to do is: enter Russian lyrics.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|Font|Style:StaffLyric|Typeface:"Trebuchet MS"|Size:8|CharSet:204
|Lyric1|Text:"ïî-áåä-íûõ ñîï-íå÷-íûõ ïó-÷åé\r\nðàý-äàñò-ñÿ áïà-ãî-âåñò âñå-ìèð-íûé ïî-áåä-íûõ\r\nñîïíåö-íûõ ïó-öåé ïî-áåä-íûõ ñîï-íåó-íûõ ïó-öåé\r\n"
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Reply #8
Yeah, sorry folks, looks like I missed this one :(
Perhaps these characters would be useful in this instance:
Chr$(108) = l
Chr$(110) = n

It may be necessary to set the *Dings font as at a diferent size than staff metrics to get the symbols large and bold enough...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.