Skip to main content
Topic: Help with Yamaha PSR-340/MIDI Mapper (Read 4945 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with Yamaha PSR-340/MIDI Mapper

Hello. I have a serious problem apparently with using my PSR-340 with NoteWorthy. I do have the MIDI cables connected to IN to OUT and OUT to IN. Since I have a SoundBlaster Live! card, I had to purchase a special adapter for the joystick/midi port. Since doing so, I have not been successful in communications between the two devices. In fact, just recently, NoteWorthy keeps giving me the error of "The following play devices have failed to open properly: MIDI Mapper. This problem must be fixed before proceeding". It hasn't given this message to me before. I went in to Control Panel and adjusted my MIDI IN. I have in NoteWorthy adjusted my MIDI IN. My keyboard is supposed to have yes/no options for Keyboard Out,Accompaniment Out, ExtClock, and InitSend, but instead, I have dashes and cannot change them. When I try to record, it won't let me because of the MIDI mapper. I can't even press the MIDI input button because of the MIDI mapper. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Help with Yamaha PSR-340/MIDI Mapper

Reply #1
Your MIDI Mapper error could be caused by one of three things:

1 - You have selected multiple devices for play back, including the device used by the MIDI Mapper (you should not select more than one device unless you know what you are doing)

2 - You have another application running that is using the MIDI Mapper, or the actual device that is mapped by the MIDI Mapper (try closing other apps to correct this)

3 - You have a setup problem with the MIDI Mapper (you need to fix your system setup in this case)

As for getting your MIDI cables to work:

1 - If you are using a LiveDrive attached to your SB Live, you MUST use the MIDI ports on the LiveDrive

2 - IN/OUT assignments are not always labeled consistently, neither on joysticks MIDI cables nor keyboard MIDI ports (don't be afraid to try the reverse connects if all else fails)

You can also search this forum for lots of examples of others not being able to get their external MIDI connection to work at first. Fixes vary; faulty drivers, faulty MIDI cables, cable connections reversed, faulty soundcard, faulty keyboard; anything could be wrong. You just have to try and narrow it down.

Reply #2
Go to Tools/Options on the menu, Select the "Midi" tab and set your playback device to "SB Live! MIDI Out" so that you connect directly to the MIDI output port rather than via the MIDI Mapper and see if that works

Geoff

Reply #3
Try reinstalling your Soundblaster Live! drivers.That happened to me and it worked!