Skip to main content
Topic: Is this the right program for what I need? (Read 2511 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this the right program for what I need?

I found this website by putting a question in Ask Jeeves and I am not sure if this is the right program for what I need.  I am looking for a program that will transpose violin music into viola music.  I am not looking for anything fancy and by reading some messages on the forum y'all are way over my head.  I just want to play patriotic type of songs, show tunes and Christian hymns and music to play at nursing homes, VA Hospitals and such.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Re: Is this the right program for what I need?

Reply #1
You are the best judge of what you need. You can try NWC for yourself by downloading the evaluation version, and then decide if it is what you need. Simply start at our home page, then click the Try It link.

Reply #2
NWC has an alto clef feature, as well as a tenor clef, and the standard bass and treble clefs.

Transposition is easy once you've notated the part.  Notation is a breeze.  Transpose from the Tools menu.

I'm not sure exactly the mechanics of converting from treble to alto clef, but it surely can't be any more difficult than going between treble and bass clefs, and that's easy.

Try the program, Pat, I think you'll find it a delight to use.

Reply #3
Thanks so much for your help.  I will try this program.  Have a good day.  :)

Reply #4
Pat-
This is a great program [that's enough of the cheerleading].
The other answers didn't really let you in on how easy it is.

First notate the piece in G clef [violin part].
Next delete the g clef and replace with C clef
THEN from beginning of piece hit shift>end and that highlights the entire piece.
THEN pressing cntrl+shift use the arrow keys to raise or lower the notes to the correct letter names- the accidentals should follow and you have now got a viola part.

If this isn't completely clear ask again- I do this daily.

jay

Reply #5
A useful hack here (for musical ignoramuses like me, at least) is to add a middle C at the beginning of the staff and simple move things up until it is positioned on the middle line of the staff, then delete it.  That way you don't have to worry about losing count.  You can't simply find some random middle C because when you do the CNTL-SHFT-up arrow the display snaps back to the beginning of the staff.