Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a template solution to midi files and key? (Read 2321 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a template solution to midi files and key?

I read the former solutions re; midi files and a template solution would work for  my defaults
But I am irritated that the key of the piece in midi ends up always accidentalized throughout instead of as a key signature- this is not the greatest problem however when I need to transpose the thing for my students it's a major pain in the brain to figure out how to undo all the accidentals.
So is there a solution?
thanks-j

Re: Is there a template solution to midi files and key?

Reply #1
Not sure if I understand the first question, but if you are saving a nwc file (with a correct key signature) as a midi 1 file and then opening into a different program, the problem could be with the midi program you are using. I had that problem with Midisoft Studio and would need to add in the key signature all the time (quick correction, but irritating). Was not a Noteworthy problem (other midi programs opened the Noteworthy "midi" files without a problem).

On the second question: if you are changing keys in the transposition and correctly noting the new key at the beginning, simply go to "Tools", "Audit Accidentals" and . . . bingo!

Reply #2
Steve-
Teaching old dogs with software they've had forever is grand.  I never used the Tools>audit before didn't know what it did and think that the first version I owned of NWC didn't have it.  SO that takes care of much of the problem.

However no to the first part.  I'm importing into NWC midi files nad I know the key signoture information is in the file but it's not showing up for the import in NWC.

So that part is still a stumper.

Thanks again.
j

Reply #3
Hmmm. Got me stumped also. I opened and saved a song in another music program in the key of D, both as a Midi 1 and Midi 0 file. NWC brought up the correct key signature in both instances.

Wonder if it could be a peculiarity of your midi program or perhaps a setting? If the other program is a freeware or trial version type, I'd be happy to try it and see if the same thing happens in my NWC program.

Reply #4
Thanks for the offer- the midi creating program is Tabledit [it does one really cool thing that NWC doesn't doesn't have to and won't ever do- i.e. translate .abc into notation]

http://www.tabledit.com/

they have a demo version but I'm not sure that you'll be able to test this 'problem' due to the restrictions but it's worth it to have you try since It's really slowing me down.

You've also inspired me to write to Matthieu [their programmer/creator] and ask him if he has an answer/solution.

I don't get to the forum often so you can also contact me at
soundand@drizzle.com
yrs-j